Campagnolo to shimano ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
Ok here goes,will a campagnolo wheel and hub work with shimano set up ? Could i fit a shimano 10 speed cassete on a campagnolo hub ? Thanks for an advice in advance.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
No they are not interchangeable.

lpretro1

You did used to be able to get Shimano cassettes that would fit a campy freehub body - don't know if they still make them or if they do them for 10 spd - they certainly did them for 8 spd?

maltloaf

My spare bike has a back wheel which is campag hub and cassette working with 8 speed shimano so that definitely works but I thought I had read that it didn't work with 10 speed ? I would be interested in this if it does !

The spacing on a Shimano and a Campagnolo 10 speed cassette is *almost* the same but not spot on - Campagnolo change the spacings across the width of the cassette slightly, Shimano's spacings are constant.

You can run a Campagnolo cassette with Shimano, though, it's just that the shift around the middle of the cassette may not be perfect.

The best way to tackle it, if it is something that you want to do on a long-term basis, would be:

1. Do a full rear gear set-up ... so -
Get the rear gear hanger checked for alignment (always worth doing anyway but in this case gives you the best chance of getting the system working well as a bonus)
Disconnect the rear gear cable, check the high limit screw, reconnect the gear cable
Set up the system as if you were doing a normal Shimano set-up.

2.Once you have done that, go to sprocket 5 on the cassette and just fine-tune the indexing in each direction from the middle of the cassette to average out any errors that arise from using the incorrectly spaced cassette.

3. Check on both chainrings.

HTH
Graeme
Velotech Cycling Ltd - Campagnolo main UK SC

PpPete

Legendary Member
http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/components/transmission-gears/derailleur-gears/shimergo
gives advice on many combinations. One of the most useful (IMHO) is 8 & 9 speed shimano cassettes + shimano mechs operated from 10 speed Campag shifters.

FWIW I once built a bike with Campag Veloce 10 speed.

I forgot about the hub and ordered Shimano compatible wheels, d'oh!

Fitted a 10 speed Shimano cassette, indexed the gears and it was spot on.

I rode it for a while then sold it to gb155 who put some real miles on it and it never missed a beat.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have always liked the look of campag although i have never tried it , i do find shimano a bit to soft on the click and i have heard that cmpag is a more positive feel.

Top Bottom