Campagnolo to shimano ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
I have always liked the look of campag although i have never tried it , i do find shimano a bit to soft on the click and i have heard that cmpag is a more positive feel.
Ive two bikes with 105,the newer 5800 is soft,the older a reasuring clunk !!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Ive two bikes with 105,the newer 5800 is soft,the older a reasuring clunk !!
I do think of changing my sram to 10 speed 105 but its more of a side grade and carbon post + bars are on my to buy list as a new bike is out of the question.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
I guess my latest upgrade to 105 5800 was mostly for vanity !! Hidden cables and all that.10 speed 105 is quite adequate for me,i dont think i want any better.But now you mention it ............

cyberknight

I guess my latest upgrade to 105 5800 was mostly for vanity !! Hidden cables and all that.10 speed 105 is quite adequate for me,i dont think i want any better.But now you mention it ............
Want or need :smile:
I want a nicer bike but i look at the price of something that would be appreciably better than what i have now and its not going to happen , Nowt wrong with what i have if im honest .Its just the Oooh shiny mentality .
As i have said carbon post and bars would bring what i have to where i am happy as i am on aluminum frames so a bit more anit buzz would be nice, a bit less weight too and planet x have some good deals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
I know what you mean,ive a cannondale caad with 105 and i love the bike,comfortable and i still like the look of it.Also a ribble which i use more for winter going shops ect,thats fine too.I look at bikes (constantly !!) but in reality im happy with what ive got.Another way of putting it is,im fecked if im spending that much !! Its like the carbon bars and stem,great if you want them and they make you like your bike better.But im not sure they make much difference,i think gel bar tape or similar cancels out more road buzz.Right im off to look at canyon website for santas list !

111020121159.jpg
You certainly know you've shifted, Quite a bonus on a 2/3 'corncob' rear cassette. :whistle:

Hi cyberknight. Are you riding/referring to a regular dropped bar road-bike or a flat-bar hybrid?
I ask because I actually ride both. I have Campagnolo on my Bianchi Via Nirone7 Alu Carbon (Avatar image) and Shimano on my Scott S50 Flat-bar Hybrid. View attachment 61573
090820141445.jpg

cyberknight

I was referring to drop bars , i do have a flat bar bike which has shifters like your scott and a commuter drop bars bike with claris as well as my weekender with apex.

I was referring to drop bars , i do have a flat bar bike which has shifters like your scott and a commuter drop bars bike with claris as well as my weekender with apex.

Hi again cyberknight. Claris I am not familiar with but Scram Apex - I am.
Whilst reading through the various posts into this subject I was rather interested in the notion of marrying Campagnolo and Shimano components.

My interest in this marrying subject is simply because I am looking to either sell my Scott but with the original chain-set on it or move everything over to my Bianchi and run my Bianchi as a flat-bar hybrid on Shimano. My other option is to keep the Bianchi on the Campagnolo Veloce but change the dropped bars to flat-bars and invest in the recently introduced Campagnolo Flat-bat levers with built-in shifters which will apparently function with my Veloce rear dérailleur and existing 9spd cassette. Then I sell the Scott anyway and all of the bits that come off the Bianchi with the bar-swap completed.
I am in the process of a Retro rebuild of a rather nice Benotto Modelo 850. This will hopefully be completed by the end of next week ( 20th November). The bar tape is going on tomorrow and that only then leaves the chain and a decision on whether to run a 6spd or a 7spd screw-on with either the original but now rebuilt Mavic MA2 rims and Miche small flange hubs or a new pair of Weinmann XR18 on Miche small flange hubs.

Top Bottom