Campagnolo Vento Freehub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redddraggon

Blondie
I've had a look on the Campagnolo website, and all I can find is the parts list sort of diagrammatic hub layout, but I cannot find any instructions on what to do.

What tools do I need? I have some cone spanners on the way, but what else do I need?

I've also looked at the Park Tools website, but it doesn't give instructions for the lower end Campag hubs, only the Record/Chorus level ones.

I'm quite mechanically minded, so I don't want to go to the "not very local" bike shop. I have narrowed some creaking down to the rear wheel, and I believe it to be the freehub, so I want to get it off, check it out, grease it up, and put it back on.

OP
OP
redddraggon

redddraggon

Blondie
No ideas?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I'd have a go at removing it and see how far you get.

On my Zonda's you undo the two outer nuts using hex keys and take the non-drive side nut off.

Then undo the lock ring on the non drive side using a smaller hex key for 2 turns and it then screws off (don't undo the nut on the lock ring completely!).

Beneath this is a spring clip which you prise off gently with a screwdiver and a seal(ditto)

The axle together with the freehub can be pulled away revealing the pawls.

You then insert the hex key into the drive side and undo the freehub lock nut with a spanner.

I appreciate that the Vento's might be slightly different but the principles should be the same.

OP
OP
redddraggon

redddraggon

Blondie
Thanks,

There's nothing likely to explode? Like springs flying out? Vento bearings are cartridge type so I shouldn't have an issue with them falling out and losing them.

Once I have the freehub off, I guess it'd be OK to flush the crap out of it with WD40 (avoiding the bearings) and grease it all up?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
redddraggon said:
Thanks,

There's nothing likely to explode? Like springs flying out? Vento bearings are cartridge type so I shouldn't have an issue with them falling out and losing them.

Once I have the freehub off, I guess it'd be OK to flush the crap out of it with WD40 (avoiding the bearings) and grease it all up?

Shouldn't be (famous last words!).

The only tricky bit is getting the freehub/pawls back into the hub body - I use a very thin rubber band with a bit of cotton thread passed through to hold the pawls down whilst inserting the freehub and then pull it clear using the thread when inserted far enough.

Top Bottom