Campagnolo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
I remember having sun tour, on my first "proper bike. It was a gigantic step up from my Huret, which I believe was made from old bean tins
Ah, you obviously didn't have top of the range Huret - they were made from new bean tins ^_^

But yes, I remember switching from Huret to Suntour many years ago, and the improvement was dramatic. As it happens, I've just built up a new old bike on a Raleigh Royal frame, and I managed to get a Suntour Vx rear derailleur for £20 in almost as-new condition - and it shifts like a dream.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Ah, you obviously didn't have top of the range Huret - they were made from new bean tins ^_^

But yes, I remember switching from Huret to Suntour many years ago, and the improvement was dramatic. As it happens, I've just built up a new old bike on a Raleigh Royal frame, and I managed to get a Suntour Vx rear derailleur for £20 in almost as-new condition - and it shifts like a dream.
Huret, luxury. My old Carlton had Simplex for the first 20yrs, when I rebuilt it in the late 80s (a lorry ran over the front wheel ) I fitted the 'New' 105, a world of difference (still on it today)

dim

I have Campy Chorus on my S-Works, and 105 on my Giant TCR

Chorus wins hands down .... not sure how Chorus ranks against Ultegra, but one of the features that I like about the Chorus groupset is that you can change multiple gears with one click

Viking

For me, the Simplex rear derailleur (a plastic parallelogram type) was an upgrade from the Benelux that was the original fit on my Raleigh Blue Streak (2nd hand and of unknown age, mileage etc). Currently on Campus because I like the shape and comfort of the hoods and I don't like dual function brake levers. However there a few things about Campag that I don't like e.g. the special tools for many routine jobs, the price of components e.g. cassettes and the maintenance aspect of the Athena chainset/BB which is a nightmare.

Top Bottom