Campagnolo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I bought a bike a little while ago, second hand, but haven't had much time out on it. I wanted to get into road biking after an injury and found a cheap bike in a local shop. I honestly had no idea what I was buying but the guy said it had a fantastic groupset (like I knew what that was!) and it was an old style Campagnolo. Anyway, on the few times I've cycled around, everyone who knows enough about bikes to fill a postage stamp has made noises about this groupset and how jealous they are. A couple of guys also said they'd like to buy the bike, presumably to get the parts? What's so good about the Campagnolo? Should I be making sure I really go out of my way to look after it? If I upgrade the frame at some point would it be worth swapping the groupset (I'm still not overly sure I know what that is!) ?

gbb

Legendary Member
Post some photos of the rear derailleur and perhaps brake calipers, shifters etc. Some old Campag stuff is extremely well regarded, equally there is some good but modest Campag stuff out there as well.
Just because its Campag doesn't neccessarily make it gold.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Campagnolo was the group set of choice in the pro racing scene for a very long time, and it built up a fine reputation and for many, a certain cachet. It's arguably been overtaken by other manufacturers and ranges (such as Shimano Dura Ace) in the pro teams now, but it's still a top range performance wise and remains well loved by many amateur riders and pros alike.
Like all groupset ranges there's a scale that runs from lower end / more affordable, up to super lightweight and expensive. Yours will have a range name on it, something like Record or Chorus. Post some pics up and we'll know more!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Campag used to be the only one to have till Shimano came on the scene in the mid seventies. Now the top three (Shimano, Campag and SRAM) are so close in performance terms it just boils down to personal preference in their different shifting methods. It would be Campag for me, but I'm equally at home with Shimano and I've never used SRAM so I can't say if I'd like it or not.

Shimano have won the marketing war and not many bikes come with a Campag groupset these days.

Campag is great stuff. The Super Record groupset is very good indeed, but even the Chorus stuff is nicer ( IMO ) to Shimano sets until you get to Ultegra.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Campag used to be the only one to have till Shimano came on the scene in the mid seventies. Now the top three (Shimano, Campag and SRAM) are so close in performance terms it just boils down to personal preference in their different shifting methods. It would be Campag for me, but I'm equally at home with Shimano and I've never used SRAM so I can't say if I'd like it or not.

Shimano have won the marketing war and not many bikes come with a Campag groupset these days.
Shimano have won the marketing war in terms of mass production and OEM, particularly on low to mid range bikes, but that may also have benefitted Campagnolo as they are seen as a premium product and can command a higher price.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Shimano have won the marketing war in terms of mass production and OEM, particularly on low to mid range bikes, but that may also have benefitted Campagnolo as they are seen as a premium product and can command a higher price.
If you look at the groupset lineups for the pro teams next season Campag are losing their presence at the top of the sport too.

If you look at the groupset lineups for the pro teams next season Campag are losing their presence at the top of the sport too.
I think the problem with Campag being used on pro scene is that all the group sets need different tools
A friend of mine is bike mechanic for Sky He says it to complicated to maintain when running campag on a pro level
It sounds as if shimino are less complicated to run from a mechanics point of view.
Though I ride with Campag

Last edited:

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I like the look of Campagnolo groupo's, but what puts me off buying is the thumb shifter arrangement they have on the shifters.
But, as already stated, it's personal choice.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I like the look of Campagnolo groupo's, but what puts me off buying is the thumb shifter arrangement they have on the shifters.
But, as already stated, it's personal choice.
I took ages to get used to Shimano after years with Campag. Grinding up a steep hill and flicking the wrong lever when I wanted a larger sprocket led to some very loud prayers, as you can imagine.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I took ages to get used to Shimano after years with Campag. Grinding up a steep hill and flicking the wrong lever when I wanted a larger sprocket led to some very loud prayers, as you can imagine.
It's just purely an aesthetic thing with me(like most).
I already run Shimano Di2 Ultegra/Dura ace and the 11 sp 105. Plus SRAM force.
I like the SRAM method of shifting but it is very clunky opposed to Shimano.
And Di2 is a whole different ball game, shifting wise.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
As a boy I used to look in Uppadines shop window in the 60's and 70's dreaming of a bike with Campag gear. But now I have my old bike with Suntour Vx rear and Arx front shifters and Shimano MTB and new bike. I love the simplicity of maintainance of the Suntour friction changers.

lutonloony

Über Member
As a boy I used to look in Uppadines shop window in the 60's and 70's dreaming of a bike with Campag gear. But now I have my old bike with Suntour Vx rear and Arx front shifters and Shimano MTB and new bike. I love the simplicity of maintainance of the Suntour friction changers.
I remember having sun tour, on my first "proper bike. It was a gigantic step up from my Huret, which I believe was made from old bean tins

Top Bottom