Campaign for lottery funded cycle lanes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PedalSafely

Hello

I wanted to post our campaign to try and obtain some support from the cycling community as we feel this is a really important step in getting the government to take notice of the need for better cycling infrastructure throughout the UK.

Our goal is to gain lottery funds which local councils will apply for to build separate kerbed cycle lanes along A roads over the next 30 years, linking cities, towns and villages; producing a network of safe cycling lanes for everyone to use and hopefully encouraging more people to get on their bike.

The campaign can be found at: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/52215

Please also follow us on Twitter @PedalSafely

Many thanks, we hope you will support us.

Rachel Marsh
PedalSafely

snorri

Legendary Member
the government to take notice of the need for better cycling infrastructure throughout the UK.
There appears to be a lack of awareness of the subject, the "government" is not responsible for cycle infrastructure "throughout the UK", also local councils have little say in infrastructure "along A roads".

Sara_H

Guru
There appears to be a lack of awareness of the subject, the "government" is not responsible for cycle infrastructure "throughout the UK", also local councils have little say in infrastructure "along A roads".

But they could legislate for it, if they wished to.

Mile195

Veteran
Either way, whatever problems might be encountered in actually acheiving this, nothing will change until someone starts asking for change, so this is a good step in the right direction.

Thanks for drawing our attention to this - I don't mind putting my name on it.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Nooo !

I for one do not want seperate cycle lanes. They cause me inconvenience and extra journey times, and increase the risk of an accident. They also cause drivers to resent my being on the road even more.

Basically (seperate) cycle lanes make the already safe (relatively) part of the journey slightly safer (ie the pootling along on the straight part) but increase the risk on junctions as now every side road, driver entrance is now a give way or (worse) cyclist right of way if you dare, or worse still, each junctioin becomes a huge detour up to a "safe place to cross"', probably accompanied by a "cyclist dismount" sign.

And if i then dare to remain on the road, I'll get beeped, harrassed, (wrongfully) arrested even.

And don't get me started on the painted lines cycle lanes, forcing me into the gutter, or right out into the road if I don't want an even-closer pass.

Cycling on the road is fine, and where (we) cyclists belong

Be wary of what you wish for, you might just get it.

(Rant over, carry on.... )

Sara_H

Guru
Nooo !

I for one do not want seperate cycle lanes. They cause me inconvenience and extra journey times, and increase the risk of an accident. They also cause drivers to resent my being on the road even more.

Basically (seperate) cycle lanes make the already safe (relatively) part of the journey slightly safer (ie the pootling along on the straight part) but increase the risk on junctions as now every side road, driver entrance is now a give way or (worse) cyclist right of way if you dare, or worse still, each junctioin becomes a huge detour up to a "safe place to cross"', probably accompanied by a "cyclist dismount" sign.

And if i then dare to remain on the road, I'll get beeped, harrassed, (wrongfully) arrested even.

And don't get me started on the painted lines cycle lanes, forcing me into the gutter, or right out into the road if I don't want an even-closer pass.

Cycling on the road is fine, and where (we) cyclists belong

Be wary of what you wish for, you might just get it.

(Rant over, carry on.... )

Which is fine and dandy for you, but not for others. We need cycling infrastructure that is safe for people to use as soon as they can phtsically operate a bike.

Theres a famous quote, but I cant remember who fro, that goes something like "if it's not safe for an 8 year old kid or an 80 year old Grandma to use, then its not safe infrastructure."

Cycling as a mode of transport should be available to the masses, not just to confident adult cyclists.

I'd give my eye teeth for good quality, safe cycling infrastructure. I ride regularly with my 10 year ols, its so stressfull. Thinking of moving to Copenhagen just for the cycling infrastructure.

StuartG

slower but further
Ahem down here in London we have some excellent cycle lanes that speed up journey times and are safer than mixing it with cars and lorries.

They happen to be called bus lanes because buses are also allowed to share them. They are extremely popular with every sort of cyclist and seem to escape the downsides you fear. They are wide enough, enforced and maintained to the same standard as the rest of the road. We could do with more in all our towns and cities. Without the taxis of course.

StuartG

slower but further
and motorbikes.
You don't ride one do you?

Its a trade off. They are an inconvenience to cyclists BUT the existence of a bus lane does make it more dangerous for excluded vulnerable two wheeled vehicles squashed in traffic and making it virtually impossible to ride legally and responsibly at too many places.

So be a bit generous please.

jonesy

Guru
Can you cite any evidence that use of bus lanes by motorcyclists improves their safety? And doesn't introduce additional risks because of the greater speed differential compared with other users of the bus lane?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You don't ride one do you?

Its a trade off. They are an inconvenience to cyclists BUT the existence of a bus lane does make it more dangerous for excluded vulnerable two wheeled vehicles squashed in traffic and making it virtually impossible to ride legally and responsibly at too many places.

So be a bit generous please.

No I won't be generous.
On my daily commute I get far more hassle and close/fast passes from motorcyclists in bus lanes then car drivers in normal lanes.

StuartG

slower but further
No I won't be generous.
On my daily commute I get far more hassle and close/fast passes from motorcyclists in bus lanes then car drivers in normal lanes.

So you want to punish good motorcyclists for the sins of the bad? Is that a good plan :sad:

As for the bad, they are a pain, but suggesting they present a higher risk to you than other vehicles (in and outside bus lanes) is a tad fanciful.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Id like to see a campaign to make the cycle lanes actually useable ...far too many of them are dangerous, covered in road debris from the road sweepers, glass etc...and they are often cut across by roads, and stop abruptly forcing cyclists to rejoin busy fast moving traffic from behind. Many are used by pedestrians as well.
I feel safer on the roads for the mostpart.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
So you want to punish good motorcyclists for the sins of the bad? Is that a good plan :sad:

As for the bad, they are a pain, but suggesting they present a higher risk to you than other vehicles (in and outside bus lanes) is a tad fanciful I would suggest.

Do you cycle with me on my route every day Stuart? No.
I stand by what I said.
On the road I can mingle with the traffic and control my space and the lane.
In a bus lane I can't control some speedfreak motorcyclist from undertaking or overtaking at speed and/or very close.
There are a lot of very good motorcyclists that seem to empathise with Cyclists. But also a heck of a lot don't.

Top Bottom