Campaign to ban cycling on the A50

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Apparently it's down to the National Trust

http://www.bikemagic...?dt=1&UTN=52462
Interesting. I wonder what the route will be for motorised traffic when the tunnel's closed. I'm afraid I'm all in favour of the idea of chopping out a section of road (ducks for cover as missiles are thrown from all sides) - without a proper closure and removal the old road will just turn into a ratrun. If it means that road whippets need to slow down to 14mph for a mile instead of 18mph I can't see that being too much of a hardship.

We have one office in Guildford and another in Liphook, and I was musing as I was driving between the two the other day how the Devil's Punchbowl would be immeasurably improved by taking out the road.

frank9755

Cyclist
(ducks for cover as missiles are thrown from all sides)
Remember that, while off-road multi-use paths might feel safer than riding on the road, cyclists have significantly more accidents per mile on them!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Remember that, while off-road multi-use paths might feel safer than riding on the road, cyclists have significantly more accidents per mile on them!

Since those accidents (incidents for the politically correct pedants) don't involve a ton of metal I'm relaxed about that statistic. In any case, significantly more than a very tiny number is still a very tiny number.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I would have thought that for a great deal less money they could reduce the top speed on the remnant of the 'old' A3 and put in controls that would make it even slower than it was in days of yore.

I know that this is a shameful thing to admit, but when they built the new M40 north of Banbury (which is a horrible scar on the countryside) and turned the A41 in to the B4100 they made the most fantastic cycle route. And, if memory serves, there is already a bit of 'old' A3 somewhere near Liphook that is a dual carriageway B-road.

It is a slippery slope, ban cycles on one road and pretty soon it will set a precedent with liberal bans across the country and the total marginalization of cycling beyond that which we already have.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It is a slippery slope, ban cycles on one road and pretty soon it will set a precedent with liberal bans across the country and the total marginalization of cycling beyond that which we already have.
I agree, but the thing is - we insist on maintaining the right to ride pretty much everywhere except motorways, but we don't also make sure that those roads are actually safe to ride on. We are having a little discussion here about the subject, but we don't go and blockade the roads until they are made safe.

If a plane full of British holidaymakers crashed every month taking off from Heathrow, killing all on board, public outcry would lead to something being done about it. When the same death toll accumulates a few deaths at a time here and there on the roads, the nation just puts up with it. Cost of progress and all that.

At one time, Formula 1 seemed to have the same attitude, that deaths were inevitable so the sport just put up with them, but eventually action was taken and it is much safer now.

There are definitely a lot of roads that we have the right to ride on but where it would be crazy to do so. The trouble then is that the stubborn, foolhardy or the inexperienced do it anyway and pay the price.

I don't mind being banned from a fast, busy dual-carriageway because that isn't the kind of road I like to ride on, but there has to be a sensible alternative road to use. If one isn't, then that dual-carriageway should have a lower speed limit enforced and/or a usable cycle path provided. And if one is provided (as in Gary Livingstone's case) - it should be maintained so it is safe to ride on, not allowed to become a river of ice forcing cyclists back on to the dual-carriageway!

I agree, but the thing is - we insist on maintaining the right to ride pretty much everywhere except motorways, but we don't also make sure that those roads are actually safe to ride on. We are having a little discussion here about the subject, but we don't go and blockade the roads until they are made safe.

If a plane full of British holidaymakers crashed every month taking off from Heathrow, killing all on board, public outcry would lead to something being done about it. When the same death toll accumulates a few deaths at a time here and there on the roads, the nation just puts up with it. Cost of progress and all that.

At one time, Formula 1 seemed to have the same attitude, that deaths were inevitable so the sport just put up with them, but eventually action was taken and it is much safer now.

There are definitely a lot of roads that we have the right to ride on but where it would be crazy to do so. The trouble then is that the stubborn, foolhardy or the inexperienced do it anyway and pay the price.

I don't mind being banned from a fast, busy dual-carriageway because that isn't the kind of road I like to ride on, but there has to be a sensible alternative road to use. If one isn't, then that dual-carriageway should have a lower speed limit enforced and/or a usable cycle path provided. And if one is provided (as in Gary Livingstone's case) - it should be maintained so it is safe to ride on, not allowed to become a river of ice forcing cyclists back on to the dual-carriageway!

Indeed but my point is really aimed at the fact that they are treating the symptoms not the cause, if I have measles but wear a mask it does not mean the measles have gone, it just means you cannot see the spots anymore. Removing the victims of poor driving and ill conceived speed limits does not make the poor driving any better or the speed limits more sensible. If they really want to ban cyclists then they should be forced to reclassify the road as a motorway, otherwise they should be addressing the real problems, not sweeping them under the rug.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I don't mind being banned from a fast, busy dual-carriageway because that isn't the kind of road I like to ride on, but there has to be a sensible alternative road to use.
Well, that's the crux of it really. Banning cycling on some road is not in itself likely to lead to the creation and advertising of a reasonable alternative. And if there is a reasonable alternative there won't even be a need (well, much need) to ban cycling on the original because all but the insane will be using the alternative through choice anyway.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I've just seen the reference to the A26. I've done that. It's not a problem - it's short and flat - 300 metres at most. In fact it's a blast.

Compared to the Rotherhithe Tunnel it's easy peasy.

I've just seen the reference to the A26. I've done that. It's not a problem - it's short and flat - 300 metres at most. In fact it's a blast.

Compared to the Rotherhithe Tunnel it's easy peasy.

I don't ride the Rotherhithe tunnel, tried it a couple of times and it is just too tight for space with the motons.

Top Bottom