Campervan/Mobile home hire in France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sunny Portrush

Veteran
Hi all,

Planning to go back to the French Alps next summer and was maybe thinking of foregoing accommodation in favour of a campervan/mobile home?

Anyone ever done it and have any recommendations?

and FWIW, I be flying into either Geneva or Lyon - the whole idea may be cost prohibitive anyway!

rikki

Legendary Member
Never done it. Don't know anything about it.
But coincidentally I came across this site today
https://www.beerandcroissants.com/motorhomes-france-motorhome-stopovers-france/

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Have not "done it" in terms of hiring a Campervan, we have a Campervan / Motorhome, and frequently travel to France and beyond, taking bicycles with us).

Very enjoyable. France, in particular, is very Campervan / Motorhome friendly.

On our travels, we have often encountered people who have hired a van (usually Aussies or Kiwis), so, it would appear hire vans are readily available.

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush

Sunny Portrush

Veteran
Have not "done it" in terms of hiring a Campervan, we have a Campervan / Motorhome, and frequently travel to France and beyond, taking bicycles with us).

Very enjoyable. France, in particular, is very Campervan / Motorhome friendly.

On our travels, we have often encountered people who have hired a van (usually Aussies or Kiwis), so, it would appear hire vans are readily available.

My problem is that it`s just likely to be me and most seem to start with four berths, I`ll keep searching!

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
My problem is that it`s just likely to be me and most seem to start with four berths, I`ll keep searching!

For one person, I would think, a "Campervan" more appropriate, by that I mean a Van Conversion, rather than a coach built motorhome. They are usually based on Ford Transit / Fiat Ducato, and, are readily available to hire, I believe.

On our last main land Europe foray (September this year, to France, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands), we met an Aussie why had flown to Frankfurt (I think it was), and hired a Campervan to travel to several European Grand-Prix. So, as I say, they are available. Sorry, cannot offer more information.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
A 10s google for ’campervan hire in the French Alps’ came up with many companies like this offering as @BoldonLad suggest Ducato nases van conversions. Hopefully you’ll find one to suit. VW derived vans are of course much cooler but much more cramped.

https://indiecampers.com/campervan-...vETy3hMkyCEs8lUX5gL9RqY9phtYpQlRoC4_oQAvD_BwE

If they are like the ‘sporty’ model here, don’t worry that they are called 4 berth as at least. 2 of those beds will need making-up from seatage etc.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Ah, I did find that in my google search but kinda dismissed it immediately as it slept four! Will have another look
Other than VWs that’s pretty-much as small as they come. Just find a layout to suit!

Big T

Guru
We actually have just bought a VW California camper van and use it for various trips away, so far only in the UK, but we are planning on taking it down to do the Ventoux next summer. A camper van is a good base, you can stay somewhere 2 or 3 days and then move on if you wish. You have a fridge and a stove so you can save money by doing your own cooking.

Last edited:

Brains

Legendary Member
We have done it.

After a while you will figure out why people write on forums how they hired a van in Germany and then drove to Spain.
Why not hire in the UK, or France or Spain or at least somewhere en-route.?

Cost.
Germany will give you the best option and the lowest price
We used this lot. Very good
https://www.drm.eu/
Drove to Harwich, overnight ferry to Hook of Holland, picked up van in Dusseldorf by lunch time

We got one that would sleep 4 for the two of us, I'd not like to go much smaller!

I'd not get a camper van (like a VW) which having owned two of them is 'cozy' OK for a weekend, but not for longer.
You could go next size up and get a 'PVC' (Panel Van Conversion) which is usually based on a Fiat Ducatto, still too cozy for my liking unless you are somewhere warm so spending most of the time outside

I recon for two people what you want is a MotorHome that is 6.5 to 7.5m long that sleeps 3-4 people 'ofically'
There are multiple bed layouts, each to their own, but we found the twin rear separate beds is the best compromise.

Top Bottom