Camping equipment Airbed or inflatabale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
There are differing views. I do have an airbed (Exped as I stated before) and this is so much better than a self inflating Thermarest (for me I must stress). So do try out the various options BEFORE heading off for your hols or you might find it really unpleasant.

Summary for me: Exped can mean oversleeping, Thermarest means waking 6 times a night

GrahamG

Guru
jay clock said:
There are differing views. I do have an airbed (Exped as I stated before) and this is so much better than a self inflating Thermarest (for me I must stress). So do try out the various options BEFORE heading off for your hols or you might find it really unpleasant.

Summary for me: Exped can mean oversleeping, Thermarest means waking 6 times a night

That's a fair point - I'm fine on a Thermarest but I've treated my other half to an exped synmat as she sleeps on her side and found even a 3.5cm thermarest a little uncomfortabe.

willem

Über Member
Indeed, as I said earlier, the Exped synmat/downmat is the way to go for cold weather, and the lighter and more compact Thermarest Neoair for warmer weather. After these, even a 5 cm self inflating mattress feels uncormfortable. This very age dependent, however. When I was much younger I did not use any mattress at all, then in my student days I used a 1 cm closed cell foam mat, and felt luxurious. In my fourties I needed a 3.5 cm Thermarest, and then a couple of years ago a 5 cm. Now in my later fifties, I need the comfort of the 7 cm Exped. I am sure the next stage will be a 9 cm mattress. To be honest, it still is the only concession I need to make to age. I still do not take a chair, and I still camp in low tents. I don't need anything else. And I guess I can now afford ultralight gear.
Willem

HelenD123

Legendary Member
jay clock said:
now that is something I miss! I am not keen on crouching/kneeling when cooking or eating! Any ideas?

I'm getting a thermarest chair for my birthday next week. I'll let you know what I think.

Fandango

The Thermarest chair is awesome! I'm sure you will enjoy it.

The problem I have is that although I have a 5cm Thermarest, I find I sometimes wake up at 4am with aching ribs and can't get back to sleep. Whatever position I lay in when this happens is uncomfortable, but it only happens every 4-5 days, normally I am fine. Does anyone else get this problem?

I am very tempted to get an Exped, but I would have to take my Thermarest for the chair! Are Exped's really that much better for us oldies (I am 50 this year), or am I just getting the pressure wrong on my Thermarest?

jay clock

Massive member
I nver had the Thermarest chair but looking at pics you are still basically sitting on the ground aren't you? I have just bought an Exped Scout hammock with plans to use that for early evening relaxation and if set up right, as a seat too.

Fandango

jay clock said:
I nver had the Thermarest chair but looking at pics you are still basically sitting on the ground aren't you? I

You are essentially sitting on the ground unless you can find a wall or stone/log to sit on but the main thing is that it gives excellent back support. I can sit up in my tent reading quite comfortably, rather than having to lie down. It's ok if you can sit cross legged I suppose, but I can't being a fat old git B)

jags said:
exped down mat you will never regret buying this mat honest.

Absolutely agree! It's the best and most important piece of camping equipment I have.

Fandango said:
Are Exped's really that much better for us oldies (I am 50 this year), or am I just getting the pressure wrong on my Thermarest?

I'm 50 and sleep unbelievably well on my exped (Downmat 7) mat. There was no discomfort whatsoever, and when you're on a long trip, a good night's sleep is essential for moral and recovery.

Obviously a goodish and appropriate tent and a suitable sleeping bag should accompany the sleeping mat, depending on where you are going, of course.

willem

Über Member
Exped have just introduced a new and much cheaper and lighter Synmat basic, at 660 gram for size regular (and rated to minus 11 C). Unless you are going on a deep freeze trip, it should be warm enough, and save you weight and money. The Thermarest Neoair is even lighter, of course, but it is really only a summer mattress.
Willem

Fandango

OK, I'm convinced. I'm not taking any chances though, I'll go for the downmat 9, another 300g doesn't make much difference with the two wheeled caravan that is me cycle camping. If I don't feel like I'm being cuddled by beautiful women all night I'll be disappointed! :tongue:

Jugular

You don't need to give up your chair if you go for an Exped. Exped do a ChairKit that fits SynMats and DownMats. It's apparently much comfier than the thermarest chair too. It also has an integrated pillow holder so you can use it for sleeping in and it protects your mat as well! Essential purchase if you ask me.

If you find a ChairKit Large (needed for the more luxurious mats like mine!) in stock anywhere please tell me!!

Top Bottom