Camping (tents) in Windermere?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Looking to camp for a few nights in June in Windermere but as much as I try I can only find 3 campsites that accept tents! Anyone know some little gems that aren't online but close to the lake or even know any websites that'll find me some?

Thanks in advance!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
What's wrong with the 3 you've found? I don't know how many campsites there are altogether in Windermere - but I'd guess that's at least half of them. We used to stay at a caravan site in windermere when I was little - it was all concrete being some left over thing from the war - so the no tents rule wasn't bloody mindedness in that instance at least. For others where it's merely a rule - they may be the sort of place you'd not choose to stay in anyway maybe.

Does it have to be Windermere ? My favourite campsite in the lakes is in Dungeon Ghill - really nice proper hilwalker style place and walking distance from a fine pub. No lake though.

There's another really nice one I've stayed in by a different lake but I can't quite remember the name (of the lake / village) - possibly buttermere

OP
OP
Joffey

Joffey

Big Dosser
The 3 I have found are full... sorry, should have said that. And yes, unfortunately it has to be Windermere :-(

Try golakes.co.uk or cool camping.co.uk. Also there is coniston campsite right on the lake. Really nice and only a few miles from Windermere and Ambleside

Top Bottom