Campsite Cancelled Our 1st April Booking - Recommend me a campsite near water/lake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
Following on from a successful camp on Loch Lomond last easter we booked a week at Milarrochy Bay Campsite on the shores of Loch Lomond...

https://www.campingandcaravanningcl...rrochy-bay-camping-and-caravanning-club-site/

Today they called and cancelled us due to the ground being waterlogged. Nothing you can do about that I suppose!
In fairness to them i'd rather they cancelled us than us have a mud bath or be flooded, more notice or even a warning may have been good, but in all honesty, its been raining, its early spring and its right on the Loch, is warning enough!

Anyways...

But it leaves us almost all packed, leave booked, kids excited and ready to go, but with nowhere to go.

We will be travelling as a 2 families of 2 adults, 2 kids (tent) - 2 Adults 4 kids (tents) and 2 old ladies (grannies) in a campervan.
*the tents will need electric hook up, the van not so much

We've tried Luss, but they can't accommodate the van, Cashel isn't responding to calls.

We are now looking for an alternative site.

We've got Paddle Boards, Kayaks and keen swimmers and was planning on just larking about on the Loch as we did last year as well as some cycling. It doesn't have to be on-top of civilisation as we pretty much didn't leave the site last year - we just take food for 5 days and crack on..

Can anyone recommend us a "car boot campsite" ideally on water...

We're based in North West England and would be looking for anywhere half decent within a 3-4 hour drive in any direction.

Any recommendations?

Despite the Cancellation I would recommend the site at Milarrochy to anyone (outside of midge season).

Last edited:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Pitch up dot com or co.uk are a good source for sites I've found.

I only have 2 recommendations to offer - Carsington Water in the SE Peak Distict and Kielder Water in Northumberland. The site I stayed at for Carsington I can't recommend as its a basic campsite - New House Farm - as its no electricity hookup or showers, running water and eco toilets only. (Though as a working farm is great, and sells loads of good food!). Kielder Water I used Stonehaugh Campsite, its about a 30min drive from Kielder so I don't know if that one will suit, other sites are closer.

Try using https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/, the search tool is a little quirky but there are lots of results on there.

How about Ullswater in the Lake District? Not too far to go, plus paddle steamers on the lake to manage one way walks.

https://www.campsites.co.uk/search/...-the-lake-district/penrith/side-farm-campsite

We spent a weeked walking around ullswater in the before times. Lovely weather but our plans were scuppered as the Ferries declared it too windy to run. Which was news to us as we'd not noticed much wind.
Had to get a taxi to take us back.
Lovely place - much busier at the camp site in Pooley Bridge. Didn't fancy that one.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Manor farm at Ayesgarth is lovely. You can even have a fire. If you're going in a car, take your own wood as Annie's is a bit pricey and not great.

Toilet facilities are a bit 'rustic', so i walk down to the Aysegarth Falls visitor centre.

Edit... scrub that. No electric and no campervans.

richardfm

Veteran

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Side Farm is lovely, but unless it's changed radically you won't get an electric hook up there, and I wouldn't recommend the track there for a campervan of any significant size either, its a long way unsurfaced and rough and narrow.

I'd forgotten but I've stayed there, its gorgeous and doesn't require booking. The single track into it is rough but I have seen campervans on there. If you are lucky you'll get a pitch on one of the crags overlooking the lake, fantastic views.

Stock photo
SIDE-FARM-CUMBRIA-6.jpg

We cycled* up onto Martindale Common and did an anti-cockwise loop back to the site via Sandwick and then along the lakeside of Ullswater. The descent from the top to Sandwick was great, the ride from there back to the site not so much as though you can cycle it, I'm not sure you should as it was very rough!

My view from the top
P1050365.jpg

* Ok we mostly pushed it up the side of the Common, but we rode down!

Top Bottom