Campsite Cancelled Our 1st April Booking - Recommend me a campsite near water/lake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
There is a site at Inverbeg but I suspect it may now be just static caravans.
Not been on that section of the A82 for some time now but there used to be a site near the Drover’s Inn right at the head of the loch.
There is also Arrochar which I think has access to the sea loch.
With our motorhome we stayed regularly at Balloch but no direct access to L. Lomond.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I'd forgotten but I've stayed there, its gorgeous and doesn't require booking. The single track into it is rough but I have seen campervans on there. If you are lucky you'll get a pitch on one of the crags overlooking the lake, fantastic views.

Stock photo

View attachment 683556

We cycled* up onto Martindale Common and did an anti-cockwise loop back to the site via Sandwick and then along the lakeside of Ullswater. The descent from the top to Sandwick was great, the ride from there back to the site not so much as though you can cycle it, I'm not sure you should as it was very rough!

My view from the top
View attachment 683557

* Ok we mostly pushed it up the side of the Common, but we rode down!

Many happy memories of Side Farm through several decades. I'm not admitting which of these fine, upstanding young people is me though, circa 1987 after swimming across the lake
FB_IMG_1680112952567.jpg

T4tomo

Legendary Member

Jody

Stubborn git
We've got Paddle Boards, Kayaks and keen swimmers and was planning on just larking about on the Loch as we did last year as well as some cycling. It doesnt have to be ontop of civilisation as we pretty much didnt leave the site last year - we just take food for 5 days and crack on..

https://www.rvcp.co.uk/

Rother Valley near me is worth a look. MTB trails next to the campsite, views from the campsite, Peak District on your door, boating/paddleboarding lakes, cable water skiing etc, Transpenine trail runs next to it down to Chesterfield if you want to put some miles in on the bike.

New campsite that has just cost many millions

OP
OP
Tom B

Tom B

Guru
Just reviewing a couple of these recommendations...

Most of them are going on my to do list!

Side Farm is lovely, but unless it's changed radically you won't get an electric hook up there, and I wouldn't recommend the track there for a campervan of any significant size either, its a long way unsurfaced and rough and narrow.

The campervan, is VW Transporter type and was chosen to be as small as possible.
With no hook up and two young kids its going to be a summerjob.

https://forestryandland.gov.scot/visit/forest-parks/queen-elizabeth-forest-park/sallochy

This site is a bit further around the Loch from Milarochy, tents only I think.

I tried that along with Cashel, but didnt get a response, suspect theyll be wet too.

I was also going to suggest Kielder Water. There's this campsite close to the village.

Also the Camping and Caravan Club site in Keswick which is right on the lake edge.

Keilder was my suggestion, but was vetod by the vanners - theyre not long back fro Keilder.

Manor farm at Ayesgarth is lovely. You can even have a fire. If you're going in a car, take your own wood as Annie's is a bit pricey and not great.

Toilet facilities are a bit 'rustic', so i walk down to the Aysegarth Falls visitor centre.

Edit... scrub that. No electric and no campervans.

Another on the list for the summer, when we can pinch the BILs powwewr cube and tempt the old ladies out of the van

Was the winner!!! It's been on our todo list for a while, the old ladies in the van have fond memories from years ago, winner.

OP
OP
Tom B

Tom B

Guru
Many happy memories of Side Farm through several decades. I'm not admitting which of these fine, upstanding young people is me though, circa 1987 after swimming across the lake

View attachment 683571

Isnt that the cast of Enid Blyton's lesser known work " The Epic Eight Stay at Side Farm" ????

Theyre all "down sitting!" My money is on either the sensible looking chap at the back with hat or the lad with a brew!

Top Bottom