Campsites Europe.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Somebuddy

Über Member
Hi Folks, I plan to cycle across the Eurovelo 6 from west coast of France to the Black Sea. Starting 1st Sep.
My question is does anyone have any experience of camping across Europe. Do the campsites close down mid September? My companions will just take a guesthouse, but I feel that will be too expensive, 46 nights in a guesthouse. Thanks in Advance.

Simon_m

Guru
Hi there. I have camped in France in July and then in August, so that bit isn't much help. But I did find them cheap, reliable and pretty clean. I did book in advance though, so i was able to read reviews, look at pictures and compare campsites local to each other. The municipal ones can be just as good as the private ones. Before booking I looked at google earth to see images and location in the town. Also what is near, ie a train line which runs all night.

Not sure if this is much help?

Bodhbh

Guru
The main issue I found with camping on EV6 - finishing late Oct/early Nov - is after Hungary, the actual campsites available en-route dry up significantly. You end up staying in rooms in small towns and hostels in the cities. I don't recall camping at all in Romania. Maybe it was because they were shut, more likely I think the tourist infostructure wasn't there.

It wasn't the end of the world, rooms were not expensive - £15-20 or so, this was about 6yrs back. On a couple of occassions I had the floor of a house for £12. Another time I got stuck in the Bridal Suite as "all the other rooms were full" and charged £70 and was too tired to argue. Strangely, I was the only guest to be seen at breakfast....

I've done EV6 midsummer so I don't know about winter camping.
As mentioned above campsites in eastern europe can be few and far between.
So I just wild camped 3-5 nights in a row then 1 night in a hotel with very few problems.

Brains

Legendary Member
Campsites are open from "A to A" (Ascention Day to Asumption Day, 15 May to 15 August) after that they start closing, certainly by mid September many have closed for the season, however I've spent many nights on closed campsites, especially the municipal ones in France as they often leave the loos open and the water running until October.

The further east you go, the less you will find available

I think also a trip where most of the team are travelling light and staying in a bedroom will not work where one member is travelling heavy and staying somewhere else, often miles away.
Were you also intending on cooking whilst they will be eating in resturants ?
It sounds like two completly different trips to me, and I can see massive friction by about day three ......

I've done a two week tour up the Rhine with others when I was the only one camping and the others where in hotels.
I was lucky in that I'd already done the route before so I knew where the campsite where and I had input on parts of the route so the hotels picked where near campsites.
After two weeks we split up with me going on for another 4 months and the others turning back towards home.
So it is doable with a lot of preplanning but you still need to be flexible and talk about stops, mainly about when/where to meet up after you split up for that night.
The use of the search function in Google Maps (campsites, campingplatz, camping municipal, etc, etc) makes finding a possible stopping place a lot easier nowadays.
Plus as the nights draw in wild camping becomes somewhat easier, especially as you get further east where things are a lot more laidback.

Luck ........... ^_^

Top Bottom