Campsites in Belgium

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thecryof

Planning on doing a tour of Belgium in the summer, what's the availability of campsites like? Anything like France i.e loads to choose from?

Here's a thought (after asking my Belgian wife). Check out http://www.trekkershutten.nl where you can find cabins throughout Belgium (50 locations).

OP
OP
Dave Davenport
I'd seen the cabins but they work out a bit pricey for two and we prefer not to pre-book anyway. Looking on the web, there don't seem to be that many campsites, are there municipal sites in a lots of towns as in France? Also wondered if there was any camping available at the cabin sites, doesn't say anything about that on the website.

andym

Über Member
Try Alan Rogers or Google Maps?

Campsites do sem to be cheaper amd more plentiful im France than in say Spain and Italy, so I wouldn't rely on Belgium being like France.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Depends which area of Belgium you're going to.
I was there (and Luxembourg) last May for two weeks and camped every night, I had to wild camp in a clump of woodland one night but that was all.
Certainly in the east and south of the country (Ardennes) there are plenty of sites, then they get a bit thinner on the ground as you head west until you get to the coast where there are quite a lot again.

Plenty around the coast and the north and east of the country - a fair scatter around the rest of the country - most are shown on the 400k - Michelin of Benedlux - otherwise the ADAC camping brick

andym

Über Member
http://www.camping.be/en/home/ is not that complete. E.g. for the province of East Flanders, nearly half of the camp sites isn't mentioned (Ghent Blaarmeersen, ...).

... and it seems to have declared independence from the French-speaking half of the country.

andym

Über Member
Thanks guys, I got the feeling there must be more sites than shown on the web.

I suspect that a lot depends on where and how you are looking. Websites that provide listings are obviously only going to be as good as the people who put them together. Regional and provincial listings sites may be more useful than national sites. Also have you tried using google.be instead of google.com or .co.uk?

andym

Über Member
Google Maps should be the same but google.be should give greater preference to sites based in Belgium.

Top Bottom