Campsites.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sallar55

Veteran
Most camping sites for tents, vans and caravans almost always have the tents on slopes and the vans and caravans on the level surfaces with defined pitches. Last nights camping was booked as its always busy at weekend ( Ireland ) ,rolled up and was told find a space round the perimeter. Went back and kicked up hell, gave us a pitch in with the vans and caravans. Who else complains if all is not well?

grldtnr

Most camping sites for tents, vans and caravans almost always have the tents on slopes and the vans and caravans on the level surfaces with defined pitches. Last nights camping was booked as its always busy at weekend ( Ireland ) ,rolled up and was told find a space round the perimeter. Went back and kicked up hell, gave us a pitch in with the vans and caravans. Who else complains if all is not well?

If they've taken your money, then you have every right to expect a suitable pitch, but part of it also relies on you the customer ,if you know your going to be given a substandard pitch ,I wouldn't go there.
I normally request to see the pitch first, if it's not to Snuff then that's your bargaining chip, I wouldn't part with the 'filthy' till I agreed a price.
Of course the best way is to vote with your feet, walk away if it isn't on.
That's in an ideal situation of course, sadly is book and pay before you arrive, which case , you have every right to have a decent pitch.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Never had trouble with tents but caravans or motorhome are not immune.
I once arrived unbooked with towing caravan at a Caravan Club site at Killin and was given a very boggy pitch which I was not happy with and there were better ones empty but kept for the warden's pals. She said take it or leave but I had 2 small children and it was getting late so took it.
Next morning when leaving my A60 had Town and Country tyres which were normally ok in such conditions but churned the grass up considerably as I got up the slope.
Warden had the screaming hab dabs and got even worse when I told her it was her own fault her precious grass was damaged. :ohmy:
As an ex agricultural worker I was used to off road conditions but that was exceptional.

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
Brand new camping 1st week of opening,was fully booked out, Flat tent pitches.

PXL_20230716_182239368.jpg

PXL_20230716_195717556.jpg

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
Northern Ireland. Camping is getting much cheaper and showers are free . £ 10 a night as opposed to 20-30;euro plus paying for shower. And its much more space , no squeezing as many tents as possible.

PXL_20230719_150559729.jpg

FishFright

More wheels than sense
The poles aren't inserted correctly. Too much wrinkling in the fly sheet.

... and the chain is slack ?

Simon_m

Guru
Not a camping fan, but it saves money on a long trip. Here is my effort! a few broken poles, but hey, as long as I could sleep in it, I didnt care.

On this trip through France, the campsites were all pretty good, quiet, good position and facilities. Out of the 9 campsites over 3 weeks, only one of them had toilet seats, loo paper in the cubical, and hand wash by the sinks. These were the things we gauged our stay on haha. Only one campsite made you pay for showers and i think only one also had unlimited shower time.

The previous trip we had a hell of a campsite, (in france again), think the owners were bonkers! The pitchs we had were just tree roots, a right mess, could hardly put pegs in, uneaven. Yet there were empty pitches which they said were for people coming later, who never did. Nightmare, couldnt wait to get away. Lovely spot though.

0103.jpg

0097.jpg

0096.jpg

0095.jpg

Top Bottom