Campsites in Italy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We're flying to Genoa at the end of the month (cycling back to Caen for the ferry to Portsmouth). We've never toured in Italy before and I've been looking on line at camp sites and they all seem very expensive, even the Agriturismo ones are 30+ euro for a pitch and two people.
Anyone got any experience of Northern Italy or recommendations for camping?

jay clock

Massive member
My perception is that Italian sites are crammed in, expensive and "destinations" rather than places to spend a night. No experience though, purely years of poring over blogs

My impression also is that they are expensive though an at times tetchy guy who used to post on here and was an expert on Italian touring reckoned not. There may be somethin in jay clock's point as I've found Sardinian sites to be expensive. Maybe it's something to do with Italian "bella figura" - this is not just any campsite, its a bla bla bla bla luxury holiday option. Me, i just want a patch of grass, a bog and a shower

Anyone got any insights on stealth camping in Italy?

It's my understanding that it's actually illegal (but I don't see that as a problem if you cause no bother/disturbance - and let's face it Italy is hardly a land of law) but more to the point I've been led to believe that there can be an issue with access to private land/barbed wire etc.

I actually know Italy pretty well but most of my knowledge is of the cities and, with regard to countryside, Sardinia.

Good point - probably a good reason to avoid the western coast, a fair bit of which I gather can be a problem anyway - traffic plus lots of development.

I'd better get the legs in training for the ups and downs on a vague plan I have to cycle London to Rome.

jay clock

Massive member
Ive done the bit between France and Genoa several times by car and motorbike. I can only imagine the choice will be motorway, very hilly main roads or even hillier small roads

Stealth camping in Italy is just the same as anywhere else -stealthy

Pick a suitable place at a suitable time - and leave unsuitably early

Most of my stealth camps in Italy have been very pleasant - weather warm enough and dry enough not to bother with tent - under the stars - just groundsheet, mat and sleeping bag for that cool period about 2.30 in the morning

However, either coast finding a quiet spot is difficult-in the Po valley beware of paddy fields and mossies

Last edited:
Ive done the bit between France and Genoa several times by car and motorbike. I can only imagine the choice will be motorway, very hilly main roads or even hillier small roads

Ive been along there three times - its not bad at all

but yes the campsites in italy can be more expensive than - say -France - some are just too posh - and a lot of the time two is twice as much as one person (rather than two being the norm per emplacement) - the cheaper ones can be idiosyncratic at best - I find it tends to average out

rich p

ridiculous old lush
We're flying to Genoa at the end of the month (cycling back to Caen for the ferry to Portsmouth). We've never toured in Italy before and I've been looking on line at camp sites and they all seem very expensive, even the Agriturismo ones are 30+ euro for a pitch and two people.
Anyone got any experience of Northern Italy or recommendations for camping?
It was a few years back since I was camping in Italy, Dave, but in general you can expect adequate campsites to be twice as expensive as France.
Mind you, I have just returned from a short tour in the Cevennes, in France, and my cheapest campsite ever, was the municipal one in Treves with hot water, a perfect pitch and nobody came to take our money! Beat that:thumbsup:

You will be in Italy. I suggest you drink the wine. Find a local cantina or find one of the small shops that does vini sfusi, take along a plastic bottle from shop bought water and fill her up. It will be very cheap, almost certainly perfectly drinkable, and some is excellent.

Top Bottom