Campsites Recomendations enroute to Berlin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
We are driving to Berlin next week but we want to camp for three nights, one night near Ghent, one near Dortmund and one near Brunswick.

Any suggestions? The prices we've seen on some sites are a bit confusing.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
The Camping and Caravan club, which I heartily recommend joining suggests
Blaarmeersen campsite just outside Ghent. £20-30 pnight.I

I've only cycled back from Berlin and didn't pass through those places - German mainstream campsites are much of a muchness - normally pretty good - look on the ACSII website - £20-£30 sounds about right -mainstream German campsites are on the whole more expensive than UK - I've paid close to the bottom end of that with just the bike - probably not worth getting the ACSCII card for just three nights

And the car camping forum is thataway ------------------>^_^

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Firstly it's Braunschweig, not Brunswick!

So on topic, I actually live close to Braunschweig, so I know the campsites I'm about to mention, but never actually stayed at them.

Firstly about an hour West of Braunschweig, is Steinhuder Meer, a really pleasant spot with some campsites dotted around. Closer to Hannover you have Birkensee campsite, from what I've heard it's pleasant enough with a small lake if it's hot, which it has been lately. I'm not sure Braunschweig itself has a campsite, but Wolfsburg does. Wolfsburg is just 20 minutes East of Braunschweig and the home of Volkswagen. The site seems a little quirky, but again it's next to a Lake, the Allersee. The Allersee is perfect for a dip if it's hot, and a really pleasant place to walk around if it's not so warm. I was swimming in there just last week. It has sandy beaches and good amenities.

Many of the sites around here are a little tired and the Germans running them can be a little odd, but that's Northern Germany for you. There are all in the main, clean and functional places. I've heard rumour of a good campsite here in Celle as well, but I don't know where. I'll have a look later. I really don't recommend the Silbersee in Celle though, a lovely place to take a dip, which I do quite often, but the facilities are terrible. I really wouldn't want to stay there.

I'll update later if any more springs to mind.

Top Bottom