Can’t get back in to it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rock bus

Über Member
I’d got up to fairly decent club member riding ie comfortable at 50\60 miles at c16 mph and could do 100 mile sportive.
But gave it up to focus on running as had place in London Marathon.

Now trying to get back on bike but finding it REALLY tough - can’t do 16 at easy pace

It’s frustrating and thinking of just giving up cycling and sticking to running.

Any tips on getting back in it or is it just case of being patient and time on the bike?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's a case of being patient and time on the bike.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Ride because you enjoy it, not to be fast.
I've been stuck at an avg 9mph for 2-3 years. Who cares?

CXRAndy

Guru
Ive been the same, weight has gone up and enthusiasm has gone down. But I see light appearing.
Ive made up and converted a bike to electric for the wife. She loves these 20 mile trips to pubs. This has rekindled my desire to cycle. She is much faster and I have to work a little to keep up. Its keeping my fitness from disappearing completely. I'm trying to organise another trip to the Canaries this winter-that should give me the target to get fit again and shed alot of weight.

johnblack

Über Member
I’d got up to fairly decent club member riding ie comfortable at 50\60 miles at c16 mph and could do 100 mile sportive.
But gave it up to focus on running as had place in London Marathon.

Now trying to get back on bike but finding it REALLY tough - can’t do 16 at easy pace

It’s frustrating and thinking of just giving up cycling and sticking to running.

Any tips on getting back in it or is it just case of being patient and time on the bike?
Find a goal, I usually have two or three a year and that keeps me going out. At the minute there isn't a lot going on and I've had a few weeks off. Went out and just pottered around on Saturday, enjoyed it and now I'm thinking about what I want to achieve next.

flying start

Veteran
Just reading though some posts on hear. I'm almost 7years out of riding my bikes, with changing jobs so no more commuting to work. 2 children now so just sort lost touch with the bikes. Reading your topic reminds me of the friend I done most of my riding with. Although I was a faster rider than him. He would always be competitive with speeds and times having strava on his phone. He would always go on about me getting the times and that app. But for me it took the freedom and the enjoyment out of the riding for me. I'm not saying don't record your gains and speeds it is a good thing. Itll come back sooner than you know it. For now just enjoy the peddle time. If you push your self to hard you'll just put to much pressure on your self and just think no its not for me.

Top Bottom