1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can 11 speed crankset work with 10 speed set up?

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by ItFellOnDeafEars, 8 Feb 2018.

Tags:
  1. ItFellOnDeafEars

ItFellOnDeafEars New Member

Long story short - removed pedal & busted the thread on my left crank arm so now in market for replacement. Brand new one is €40 ish - I'd rather get a used one for much cheaper so will check ebay tonight.

However if going new is the route I'd have to take, I'd rather buy a whole new crankset and get new chainrings while I'm at it. I've seen that Decathlon are selling 11spd crankset for €80.
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/crankset-105-5800-50-34-1725m-id_8394610.html

My bike is set up as 10 speed - would I be able to swap out the current crankset for this one or would I have to swap everything else as well?

2. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

Yep, it'll be fine. :becool:

Smokin Joe likes this.
  3. smutchin

smutchin Cat 6 Racer

gaijintendo likes this.
  4. DCLane

DCLane Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

Yes. I use 11 speed cranksets with my 10 speed bikes as they've 52/36 chainrings.

5. kiwifruit

kiwifruit Well-Known Member

6. Newman8

Newman8 Well-Known Member

Yes, I also use an 11 speed chainset with 10 speed cassette.

I still have a 10 speed chain, but I understand the 'inner' width on a chain is the same, so you could also use an 11 speed chain when it comes to changing that. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that).

7. OP
    OP
    ItFellOnDeafEars

ItFellOnDeafEars New Member

Hey folks thanks for your replies and for departing such useful information. Always good to learn new things.

I managed to pick up a used crank arm earlier today in Dublin so I'm sorted now.

Happy pedalling this weekend!

Cheers!