Can a bad TripAdvisor review constitute libel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
If its untrue, yes.

Proving it a Court is another matter entirely.

If you state opinions as unequivocal facts, and publish those views anywhere, and they are in any way defamatory, you've got libel. Whether the CPS would bother with it though, is a very different thing.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Whenever you allow anyone to give an oppinion, you are opening yourself up to the possibility of criticism and bad reviews. You can either, 1. Only allow good reviews to be posted. 2. You can apologise and ask the reviewer to give you the opportunity to make it right and for them to give another review. 3. Don't give anyone the ability to give any kind of review.

The fact is, this has now become a newspaper worthy story, and as such, the establishment will be getting so much more negative publicity, that i think they are already regretting getting solicitors involved. In the end, the only winners will be the lawyers as always. The reviewer will come under attack, as will the pub/restaurant, but the lawyers will always get their fees.

Whenever you allow anyone to give an oppinion, you are opening yourself up to the possibility of criticism and bad reviews. You can either, 1. Only allow good reviews to be posted. 2. You can apologise and ask the reviewer to give you the opportunity to make it right and for them to give another review. 3. Don't give anyone the ability to give any kind of review.

The fact is, this has now become a newspaper worthy story, and as such, the establishment will be getting so much more negative publicity, that i think they are already regretting getting solicitors involved. In the end, the only winners will be the lawyers as always. The reviewer will come under attack, as will the pub/restaurant, but the lawyers will always get their fees.
You don't allow people to give opinions on Trip Advisor or Google. Your profile is setup whether you like it or not and reviews are given potentially without knowing they had started.

OP
OP
D

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
If you state opinions as unequivocal facts, and publish those views anywhere, and they are in any way defamatory, you've got libel.

I'd have thought that a review, by definition, was a person's opinion. :rolleyes:

She found the staff rude and the food mediocre. The restaurant owner should have taken it on the chin and moved on, instead he and his over-zealous lawyers' response has resulted in over 100 one-star Google reviews, mostly criticising their actions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
You don't allow people to give opinions on Trip Advisor or Google. Your profile is setup whether you like it or not and reviews are given potentially without knowing they had started.

I am just speaking in general terms, and not about specific sites to be honest. I dont know anything abut trip adviser. But it does seem that most online companies give their customers the opportunity to write reviews. And proving that a review is malicious, or wrong or untrue wherever it comes from would be next to impossible i should think.

bianchi1

Guru

As @Markymark says restaurants don't sign up for TripAdvisor, they have no control of their listing or reviews. That is unless you want to pay them 60 odd quid a month which alloys you to cherry pick your best review and 'pin' it to the top of the page. Basically a form of blackmail and further erodes TripAdvisor's claim to offer an impartial view

In my experience, TripAdvisor is a joke. Fake reviews are abundant as are ones that are just wrong (our restaurant was praised for its excellent cellar bar...which we dont have)! Some restaurants are either paying for reviews or offering customers a free drink for a positive review. The clue here is the business has hundreds of reviews, mostly by 1st time reviewers.

Top Bottom