Can a Hybrid do everything I want it to?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AmeliaF92

Hello,

Looking for some advice on what bike i should buy!

My budget is around 800 pounds and I want a bike that I can commute into Central London on (and feel safe) but also join my friends who will be on road bikes at the weekend for longer rides and in the perfect world an occasional ride on gravel paths at my parents in the country.

My main hesitation with a road bike is I don't want drop bars. Given this and the above I was considering the Cannondale Womens Quick 2.

Any advice or guidance?

Thanks in advance!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It will do all that and more. Get it bought, that's if you can find one :whistle:.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
The Cannondale Quick is a really nice bike, and yes it will do all of that.

I meet up (well, when I can) with a group who all ride road bikes, not hardcore "roadies" or club riders or anything, but all keen cyclists all the same and all on "quick" bikes - there's a Bianchi and a BMC Team Machine in there.
One of the guys brings his dad who is in his very late 70s and he rides a hybrid, I think it used to be a Boardman although he got treated to a Whyte last year. Point is, he keeps up with us just fine and if he ever drops back a tiny bit we're never waiting long for him. A good hybrid isn't hugely slower than a road bike, not unless you're racing.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Aren't Schwalbe Luganos slick already? Plus I wouldn't think she'd like the hassle of changing tyres for an occasional trip.
They are indeed which is why I would not want to use them for gravel path use. I would personally prefer semi slick (nobbly bits on outside edge) for better grip. It’s up to the OP if or when to change the tyres but if it’s occasional then hassle won’t be that often.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Great deal. Last year's model but only the large in stock.

OP
OP
A

AmeliaF92

Thanks for all the advice everyone - I think I will go for it! Has anyone bought from the shop linked above - it has some rather bad reviews on google! Tempted to take the risk for that price though!

Smudge

Veteran
The Quicks are very nice hybrids, i have one myself, albeit a lower specced model. I've been particularly impressed with the frame on them, I assumed this SAVE design in the rear triangle was just a gimmick and marketing bollox. But i now think there is something to it With the same tyres, the Quick is a noticeably smoother ride from the Carrera hybrid it replaced.

When I started off on club rides I did so on a flat bar road bike and against drop bar road bikes it performed pretty well. A drop bar does make things easier and you don't really ride much (if at all) on the drops in a group ride but unless your mates are all racing snakes, a flat bar will cope fine. Good Luck :okay:

Smudge

Veteran
I just sold my drop bar road bike this week. I wont be getting another.
I dont really hate drops, but i much prefer flat bars..... and bar ends make them even better.

Top Bottom