Can a 'mountain bike cassette' go on a road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'm looking to get a lower bottom gear, with some serious hill-climbing in prospect, so I was thinking of replacing the cassette. Some of the ones I've been coming across call themselves 'mountain bike cassettes'. Are they actually any different? Surely they'll fit the same hub? Is it just a question of not getting one with a biggest sprocket too large for your rear mech to handle? Any advice appreciated.

2Loose

Guru
The same as a road cassette, but generally with bigger sprockets.

As you say, if your rear mech can handle that many teeth, you'll be fine.

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
I've known a few folk later on in life that prefer to have lower gears but the benefits of a road bike, and good on them for getting out there; they've had mtb cassettes fitted but as said you'll need a new mech (unless its something like SRAM APEX) to handle the wider range.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I have a medium length Sora mech on my audax bike with a 28t cassette. any more and I think you'd need a mtb mech, although these do work perfectly well with Shimano STIs (except some new mtb mechs). I also have an acera mech on my tourer with a 32t cassette.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks all - much appreciated. I might pinch the long cage mech off my hybrid for a few days. I'll try it asis first of course, you never know. But you've confirmed what I needed - ie, there's no fundamental reason why not.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I put a 32T bottom cassette on my 'winter' bike - with an old Shimano Exage 500EX short cage mech, and was amazed when it worked with no problem. Try it and see.

Top Bottom