Can a smaller rider use less stiff shoe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

el blanco

Trying to decide between Specialized expert or S works road shoe. Both have carbon soles, but the S Works is obviously more stiff. It's also way more money that I don't want to spend if I don't need to.

So here's my situation: I don't race at the moment, but I am training fairly hard (about 2 months in) and am open to the idea in the future. I am very focused on getting faster and increasing my mileage. Currently I ride 45 miles in just over 2.5 hours. Lots of small hills, a few big. I really like to attack hills. I keep a peppy cadence and seldom stand up.

My feet are suffering after about 15 miles from my current cheap pedal/ shoe setup (let's not talk about the current one).

I know I need a stiffer, better shoe. But I only weigh about 135 and will likely lose a bit more. So do I really need the stiffest shoe specialized makes? Or could I get away with a more affordable carbon fiber sole? My thinking is that at my size and current ability, I probably can't even generate enough power to cause the expert to flex. So I would like to save the money if I can, but if I really need to go all out I will.

Ps: I work in a bike shop and specialized is what we sell. So while I know there are lots of great brands out there, my next shoe has to be a Specialized make.

Last edited:

S-Express

You are unlikely to notice the difference - and if you are planning on racing then your shoes are not going to make the difference between 1st or 2nd place :smile:

Top Bottom