Can a steak be sexist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markemark

Über Member
There’s an awful lot of subtle but annoying differences is marketing between the sexes. Men and boys encouraged to be brash, strong, adventurous. Women and girls to be caring, demure and sensitive.

Bringing up daughters it’s frustrating. I want then to also be brash, strong and adventurous. There’s nothing stopping them but so much around the world that is presented to them shows them it is not ‘normal’ for girls. The constant message feeds into them.
These constant tiny little differences are not offensive and people aren’t, on the whole, offended by them. Just frustrated that things aren’t represented equally. This one thing makes little to zero difference. But there’s millions of these subtle differences and the cumulative effective is damaging. People that take a stand and point this out are not taking offence but taking a stand at the constant drip drip of sexism.

The people that like the world just as it is tend to be the ones that benefit from how it is. Those that benefit less and try to speak out tend to be labelled as awkward, woke and to be ridiculed.

Last edited:

alicat

Legendary Member
^^^^ Spot on.

icowden

Veteran
Yebbut you can buy them already peeled.

Which removes the necessity of having to deal with the legs.

And I do believe that wood lice are actually land-dwelling crustaceans.

I expect that when insects become mainstream in sandwiches and salads and pre-packed in the supermarket, they'll come ready-peeled, too...
So there won't be any need to deal with legs, wings or antennae ...

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I've never actually thought whether insects *can* be peeled. Or not...

Surely they 'peel' themselves every time they moult 🤔

There’s an awful lot of subtle but annoying differences is marketing between the sexes. Men and boys encouraged to be brash, strong, adventurous. Women and girls to be caring, demure and sensitive.

Bringing up daughters it’s frustrating. I want then to also be brash, strong and adventurous. There’s nothing stopping them but so much around the world that is presented to them shows them it is not ‘normal’ for girls. The constant message feeds into them.
These constant tiny little differences are not offensive and people aren’t, on the whole, offended by them. Just frustrated that things aren’t represented equally. This one thing makes little to zero difference. But there’s millions of these subtle differences and the cumulative effective is damaging. People that take a stand and point this out are not taking offence but taking a stand at the constant drip drip of sexism.

The people that like the world just as it is tend to be the ones that benefit from how it is. Those that benefit less and try to speak out tend to be labelled as awkward, woke and to be ridiculed.

Yup - all these drip drip messages and microaggressions aren't much on their own, add them up and it has a big effect.

Same but in reverse for bringing up boys.

Of course they're just as capable of being kind, thoughtful, and sensitive, as well as strong, adventurous and resilient.

But all the marketing and media pressure tries to make out those attributes aren't so valued in men.

It can be counteracted - just a shame we still have this work to do - on top of all the other business of parenting.

simongt

Guru
So is it 'wildly inappropriate ' to so name a rump steak or over reaction?
Or is it because of the overload of social media that folk know that a simple post will get pretty much worldwide coverage and thus suitable favourable reaction - ? :whistle:
Time was when such a reaction got no further than the queue in the local post office.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Or is it because of the overload of social media that folk know that a simple post will get pretty much worldwide coverage and thus suitable favourable reaction - ? :whistle:
Time was when such a reaction got no further than the queue in the local post office.
You mean that the outrage 'backlash' created by someone expressing a bit of concern at potentially sexist marketing - might possibly drive up visibility and sales ??

How very cynical of you :angel:
I don't know about you, but I'm not particularly keen to find out ...

I'm quite keen on finding out if there are practical ways of using deliberately grown insect protein for chicken and pig feed, to reduce the reliance on (ecologically damaging) soya - that would be a useful move .

I think we've a long way to go to get over the 'ick' factor of eating insects directly - at least here in the west anyhow.
Funny how many of us see 'underwater' insects and crustaceans as delicious but the terrestrial ones are a no no -
- humans eh??

presta

Guru
Horse steak is actually rather tasty. :hungry:

it's good, and a good deal cheaper than beef.
I've never tried it, but at the time of the horsemeat rumpus I emailed the supermarkets saying if the prices being mooted are correct, put it on the shelves and I'll buy it.
"We don't have any plans for that at present, Sir"
It's eating insects that would freak me out. All those legs... :unsure:
I'm not sure I'm ready to try munching on a whole locust just yet, but they're talking about processed insect protein in burgers etc, and I'd jump at the chance to try that sort of thing. Bring it on.

classic33

Leg End Member
You mean that the outrage 'backlash' created by someone expressing a bit of concern at potentially sexist marketing - might possibly drive up visibility and sales ??

How very cynical of you :angel:

I'm quite keen on finding out if there are practical ways of using deliberately grown insect protein for chicken and pig feed, to reduce the reliance on (ecologically damaging) soya - that would be a useful move .

I think we've a long way to go to get over the 'ick' factor of eating insects directly - at least here in the west anyhow.
Funny how many of us see 'underwater' insects and crustaceans as delicious but the terrestrial ones are a no no -
- humans eh??
You'd have no problems if they called it "Big Mummy's Steak"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom