Can a swan break a man's leg?...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stephenite

Membå
...probably not. But it can break a man's nose!

This today from the local newspaper:

Not me but from the local newspaper. Ex-boxer and martial artist gets his feathers ruffled as he aims to cool off in a local watering hole. Link to norwegian newspaper with short video: (edit: article behind paywall, sorry) https://www.noblad.no/illsint-svane-brakk-nesa-pa-jorn-52-den-slo-meg-rett-ned/s/5-56-270075

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Despite watching lots of Scandi-noir, my Norwegian isn't anywhere near as good as most Norwegians' English, but I reckon that paper is trying to tell us that we need to subscribe to view the article... :whistle:

avsd

Guru
Swan can definitely break an adult's arm if provoked. Happened at Newcastle, Co Down when I was younger - a you male with too much drink got too close to nest on Saturday night

Drago

Legendary Member
I had to pick a swan up once (long story). Bloody heavy, easily the weight of a good sized dog. I'd not be at all surprised if they packed enough punch to break bones.

OP
OP
Stephenite

Stephenite

Membå
Despite watching lots of Scandi-noir, my Norwegian isn't anywhere near as good as most Norwegians' English, but I reckon that paper is trying to tell us that we need to subscribe to view the article... :whistle:
50p for 5 weeks - introductory offer. Cheaper than Strava!

The video shows, from a distance, a man wading waist deep into water being surprised at close quarters by the swan. He didn't see it until it went for him and landed half a dozen blows before he managed to turn, cover up, and make a swift retreat. All filmed by his son! Who duly informed the press! 😀 Classic.

Swans round our way carry baseball bats and knuckledusters.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Aggressive in the breeding season, but can be quite placid in winter. I've rescued one which was feeling a bit sorry for itself after trying to negotiate a barbed wire fence. It wasn't injured, just a bit confused. They're OK so long as you can tuck them under your arm to stop them flapping. I might not have done my best by this particular bird, as I released it over the fence where it could access quite a large body of water which was, unknown to me, being vigorously defended against all comers by a resident pair. They gave it a bloody good hiding. I made an excuse and left the scene, whistling quietly.

roley poley

Über Member
had an experience of a swan attack when canoeing probably too close to its cygnets by accident I was glad of the paddles in my hands it was more pecky and very flappy..the hollow bones of a bird against a person's shin?? I know where my money would be

OP
OP
Stephenite

Stephenite

Membå
From the article I posted above the victim says he was hit by the first joint of the wing. Which may be like our elbow?

Top Bottom