Can a tyre 'pop' off the rim while riding?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
outlash

outlash

also available in orange
There seem to be a lot of Schwalbe tyres with faulty beads here.

There does given the evidence on here, but I'm guessing that there's just as many of other makes, just no-one's mentioned it. FWIW, I don't think mine have dodgy beads, rather they're just a bit too big for the rims.

Tony.

andyfraser

Über Member
There does given the evidence on here, but I'm guessing that there's just as many of other makes, just no-one's mentioned it. FWIW, I don't think mine have dodgy beads, rather they're just a bit too big for the rims.

Tony.
When I think about it, Schwalbe tyres do get recommended a lot here so maybe there are more of us using that brand and therefore more failures as a result.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I guess the would be especially problematic on older rims, which sometimes have a straight vertical profile (with no lip to hook the tyre bead into). I bought some inch and a quarter panaracer paselas for my 1960s ten speed a while back, which need to be inflated to 95psi (they have quite flimsy side walls), and they popped right out of the rims!

Not had this problem with the modern rim profile though, running Schwalbe Marathonds around the same pressure (700 x 32C).

But yes, I would definitely worry if the tyre seems to be trying to push its way out of the rim!

mythste

Veteran
Crikey. I've been running Rocket Rons at about 55psi and I've had no issues so far. Glad I'm swapping them over to something a little more svelte this evening, it appears that pressure is over the recommended :eek:

Tom B

Guru
There seem to be a lot of Schwalbe tyres with faulty beads here.

Ive been through about 40 Schwalbe tyres in the last couple of years on the bikes I look after, this is the first failure I've had. We are not particularly nice to them and the failed tyre would have been pushed home 2-3 miles flat on several occasions - but then so have many others and never failed.

I cant say i am a fan of these tyres that come folded up and crammed in boxes..... Its just not right!!!!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A rear tyre popped off the rim of one of the riders in my group.

He was trundling along a road at about 12mph and bang!

No rhyme or reason for it we could see.

It was a 26" x 1.75 semi-knobbly, worn but plenty of tread.

Refitted with a new tube and off we went.

I think he replaced the tyre before the next ride.

But none of us are any the wiser as to why it happened.

Top Bottom