Can anyone assist with headset advice on Bianchi?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevede

Hi all

My pal has just bought a second hand Bianchi XL Tycoon 5000 MTB frame in Carbon.

We are struggling to find the correct headset for the bike. (to use with 1 1/8 forks)

The areas for the bearings seem very large (approx 45mm) so the headset type we are familiar with will not fit. I have attached some images below. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards

Steve

WP_20130928_003_zpsb29346fc.jpg

WP_20130928_004_zps2660231e.jpg

WP_20130928_006_zps61f2efff.jpg

WP_20130928_005_zpsa901212c.jpg

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Seems integrated or perhaps semi-integrated for 1 1/8", headtube close to 44mm ID, but more accuracy is required to figure out what suits, see e.g. pg 12-23 and 12-27 here.

OP
OP
stevede

stevede

Seems integrated or perhaps semi-integrated for 1 1/8", headtube close to 44mm ID, but more accuracy is required to figure out what suits, see e.g. pg 12-23 and 12-27 here.

A very useful document, we should be able to identify something from that with more accurate dimensions of the tube.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Steve

That frame takes a semi-integrated headset - you insert cups into the headtube and then insert the bearings.

So you will need a 44mm ID headset.

Make sure that the depth of the cups is less than the depth of the headtube to where it tapers inwards.

I have found in the past that frames without headset usually mean that the previous owner has had problems. This may mean that the 44mm ID headset doesn't fit in easily. I am probably wrong but be prepared to ream the headtube slightly - it should be alloy on the outer bits.

OP
OP
stevede

stevede

That frame takes a semi-integrated headset - you insert cups into the headtube and then insert the bearings.

So you will need a 44mm ID headset.

Make sure that the depth of the cups is less than the depth of the headtube to where it tapers inwards.

I have found in the past that frames without headset usually mean that the previous owner has had problems. This may mean that the 44mm ID headset doesn't fit in easily. I am probably wrong but be prepared to ream the headtube slightly - it should be alloy on the outer bits.

Thanks for the reply. I'll pass the information on. He has since measured the tube more accurately and ID is as near as 44mm so it all seems to add up.

Kind regards

Steve

Top Bottom