Can anyone identify these brakes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
These are on a bike in my storeroom and I've never seen them before.

20221128_103002.jpg

They appear to be early cantilever brakes, using parts (and possibly pivots?) from centre pull arch brakes. If it's possible to find spares I think it would be worth restoring the bike if I have the time.

20221128_103025.jpg

Anyone have any ideas? Just the name would be handy so I know what to search for.

Jameshow

Veteran
Could I don't want to live any longer brakes!🤔🤣🤔🤣

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I've never seen a canti setup quite like that before, is the 'straddle wire' actually a rigid bit of metal?

I'm not sure what you would need to search for to find them but perhaps it would be best not to! If the frame fittings would take a centre pull brake or a better quality canti brake then that would be preferable.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I've never seen a canti setup quite like that before, is the 'straddle wire' actually a rigid bit of metal?

I'm not sure what you would need to search for to find them but perhaps it would be best not to! If the frame fittings would take a centre pull brake or a better quality canti brake then that would be preferable.

agree. there must play in the system from that fixed wire and the arms / leverage is quite short. I doubt that even fully restored they would give much stopping power. bin the brakes.

if it doesn't have proper mounting posts for better canti's then bin the frame too.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I haven't seen cantilever brakes as crudely designed as those before. I suppose that, with an effective straddle-wire and descent blocks, they should be okay. With chrome rims you're not going to stop that quickly anyway.

D

Deleted member 1258

I haven't seen a canti set up like that one either, the rider might be better off putting his feet down.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You might be able to get them to work but they'll never be very good, especially with the chrome rims in the wet. Looks like you don't have any alternative as the rear bridge doesn't have a drilling for calipers.
One for the parts bin?

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
But the wire is simply hooked under the cantilevers???
So any loss of pressure and off it pops not funny down a hill!!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
By the way, one small point - the front brake as photographed has the open end of the shoe pointing forwards, ready to eject the block on application of the brake (assuming it can muster sufficient friction).

The block does appear to be leather-faced, intended for chrome rims.

Top Bottom