Can anyone identify this frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oypolloy

Hi
I have just stripped this vintage bike frame to paint and build up. I have had it for at least 30 years, most of it in the loft. Furlough and idleness has meant that now I can get round to it. I painted it years ago in Ford Cortina blue that was popular in 1979 - 80 but I can't remember or didn't know who originally made the frame. I intend to use it with a fixed wheel. It doesn't feel light enough for Reynold tubing though. I believe it to be a mass produced steel frame but would love to know the manufacturer. The forks are part of the set, I know I didn't buy them separately. Please see photos. The frame no. is 138439. There is an elliptical stamp with RGF on the bottom bracket housing and it looks like Reg'd design Cyclo on the rear dropouts. If available I will get the correct decals and paint it in period colours. Maker and approx year of manufacture would be marvellous if anybody can help.

Attachments

• SAM_1408_Edited.JPG
    SAM_1408_Edited.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 57
  • SAM_1409_Edited.JPG
    SAM_1409_Edited.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 68
  • SAM_1410_Edited.JPG
    SAM_1410_Edited.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 76
  • SAM_1411.JPG
    SAM_1411.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 77
  • SAM_1412.JPG
    SAM_1412.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 62
  • SAM_1413.JPG
    SAM_1413.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 59
  • SAM_1414_Edited.JPG
    SAM_1414_Edited.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 64
  • SAM_1415.JPG
    SAM_1415.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 64
  • SAM_1416.JPG
    SAM_1416.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 61

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Nice lugwork and those rear stays suggest it's better than a basic bike.

OP
OP
O

oypolloy

Hi
Yes I have just received some info. The lugs apparently are Prugnat and the bb shell is by Gargatte Brothers ("Raccords Gargatte Freres")
St. Etienne, France so hopefully someone will put it all together and come up with the frame maker

OP
OP
O

oypolloy

Hi
Someone else has said the same thank you, so it looks as if you're right. The bottom bracket shell is apparently by Gargatte Brothers ("Raccords Gargatte Freres") St. Etienne, France. So hopefully someone will put it together and know the maker.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It doesn't look to me like a British frame.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hi
Someone else has said the same thank you, so it looks as if you're right. The bottom bracket shell is apparently by Gargatte Brothers ("Raccords Gargatte Freres") St. Etienne, France. So hopefully someone will put it together and know the maker.
A lot of independent bike shops that made frames would have bought those lugs, dropouts and the BB shell to make frames with as would some of the factories though.

OP
OP
O

oypolloy

A lot of independent bike shops that made frames would have bought those lugs, dropouts and the BB shell to make frames with as would some of the factories though.
Yes I know components could well have been bought in. I'm not convinced that it was made by an independent, the reason being that there is quite a bit of brazing spatter that I have filed down and the brazing itself is a bit messy. So I think it has been more mass produced, I would think an independent would have taken more care.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Last edited:
Top Bottom