Can Anyone Recommend a Boost Starter Pack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
The mighty chariot would not start today. Hardly surprising; it hasn't moved for three weeks plus and I fear the part time tracker has drained the battery to the point it hasn't got enough snot to turn the starter.
This is a pain as I have volunteered to deliver stuff to vulnerable people in the surrounding areas via the Co-op.
True, I could get someone out to do it for me but why bother them at the moment?

It is a large vehicle but only has a 1.9 Litre engine. It is an automatic if that makes a difference. I thought the boosters were great big things on wheels but lithium ones are very small. Would one of those work? Anyone have any experience?

TIA.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have no idea as to what you are talking about

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Boost forks, chocolate ?

I'd just get a charger, and leave it running 30 mins rather than a booster. This might indicate your battery is on the way out too.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have a lithium that I use daily when working, I have started 2.7 diesels that had a dead flat battery, It was cheap from Lidl, I do keep it fully charged.

D

Deleted member 26715

Auto does make a difference in that you can't bump it, never had a booster always use jump leads as we normally have 4 or 5 cars & 1 will always start. When we had the Mercedes on picking it up the battery was flat from the dealer, he used a pack but as a precaution he put the side lights on before connecting, he advised it was the best way as if there was a voltage spike it would go through the light circuit & not the ECU which could be expensive.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The mighty chariot would not start today. Hardly surprising; it hasn't moved for three weeks plus and I fear the part time tracker has drained the battery to the point it hasn't got enough snot to turn the starter.
This is a pain as I have volunteered to deliver stuff to vulnerable people in the surrounding areas via the Co-op.
True, I could get someone out to do it for me but why bother them at the moment?

It is a large vehicle but only has a 1.9 Litre engine. It is an automatic if that makes a difference. I thought the boosters were great big things on wheels but lithium ones are very small. Would one of those work? Anyone have any experience?

TIA.

I’ve got one of these

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07JR88QLM/

It’s around £65-70 and will do petrol engines up to 9 litres or an 8 litre diesel.
Probably overkill for your vehicle so you could save a little and get one of their lighter ones.
Points to note are: is yours a stop-start engine? If so, you’ll need to take care to mount the black cable on an engine earth point and not on the battery. Also, the supplied cables are quite short so you may need to use a jump cable purely as an extension to reach the positive and negative terminals.

It’s an incredibly powerful bit of kit though.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Do you have a set of jump leads ?
Or does someone nearby ?
If so could you not jump start it and then whilst you are doing your deliveries it should charge up ok as long as you don't turn it off at every stop

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
My favoured batt charger is one of these - https://www.tayna.co.uk/battery-chargers/numax/

Great because you can leave it connected indefinitely and it switches to a low power trickle/maintenance charge once full and ensures the batt is tiptop when needed.

The 10A version has a handy info screen that displays the charge status and can charge bigger commercial sized batteries but the cheaper 4A model will be adequate for most domestic vehicles.

I have one of each, the 10A for my Landrovers and the smaller 4A one was fitted to my fathers little Panda before he stopped driving as it never moved for weeks at a time.

EDIT: Just to add, I know I am not answering the request for a booster pack but IMO prevention is better than cure and certainly much better for the battery. Running standard batteries flat kills them!

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I can't speak for the modern booster packs, they will all probably work providing you follow the instructions laid out in the above posts. The battery technology is certainly all there, I even saw a youtube video of a guy in a van (presumably an electrician) jumping his van from a dewalt 4mah cordless drill battery.

I've had mine on a trickle charger. Much safer, and better for the battery. once it has been charged it goes into maintenance mode and can increase the life of your battery to some extent. They are slow, so you'd need to keep it on over night at least, but can be left on indefinately if you have room to close the bonnet on it, and run an extension cable to somewhere dry and secure.

Top Bottom