Can anyone recommend reasonable priced cable cutters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kbrook

Veteran
I presume I need only one set for inner and outer cable, is that correct ?. I also presume I can't do the job with a pair of pliers. Anyone got a link for a pair that will do the job at reasonable cost, ie not Park Tools prices.

You can use pliers, but IME they blunt very quickly and then it becomes hard to get a clean cut. I don't have cable cutter myself TBH but I manage with some side cutters I have, but while they're OK on cable I wouldn't want to cut outers with them!

IMO cable cutters are the epitome of buy cheap buy twice, which is why I don't have any.

I'd save up for some good 'uns TBH.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I have had a pair of IceToolz cable cutters for about 3 years and they're great for inners and outers. Use them a lot as I service bikes quite often and they're as good as new.

Sharky

Guru
Mine came from Wickes - about £12. Well worth it. In the past, have struggled with pliers and have even resorted to using a junior hacksaw!

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
....................... I put some scrap inner into outer when cutting outer and use a needle file to clean up the cut edges.

good tip ..............don't ask me.:blush:.!

also i found that holding the free end with my left hand close to the cutter blade
and applying a little upward pressure when squeezing the cutters, prevents the left side from distorting downwards

migrantwing

Veteran
Draper Cable/Wire rope cutters. Excellent. 11 quid on Fleabay/Amazon.

Pauluk

I bought a pair a electrical cable cutters from Tesco for £4.99. Didn't think they would do the job but thought I would try them with little to loose. They work perfectly well and they still cut well having used them quite a few times now. I keep meaning to buy some decent ones but have held off so far as these always cut cleanly and easily. I suppose they'll blunt after a few dozen cuts, have to wait and see.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I have a Park Tools pair, which were part of the AK-37 tool box, and they cut cables and spokes with equal ease.

Leaway2

Lycrist
Just posted this in another thread. I use pliers with a cable cutter. They work very well.

pliers.jpg

You may have a pair in your tool box already.

Nathan AV

I tend to find a Dremel ideal for the cables and outers. Cutting blades are cheap to replace and it doesnt crush the outer when cutting. The Dremel itself can be used for lots of things around the home and garage/shed.

Top Bottom