Can fairy liquid +water be use as a degreaser?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just buy a 5 litre jerrycan of white spirit or paraffin from B&Q and a cheap baking tin or plastic tray and a cheap 1" paintbrush. Clean the chain thoroughly and rinse until the cleaner stays clean. Throw the used cleaner away somewhere it can evaporate or tip it with hot water and dishwash liquid down the sink so the sewage works can deal with it. Dry the chain with an old cloth and leave it overnight before re-lubing with a proper chain lube.

Don't use neat dishwash liquid, it won't remove all the dirt and it will linger in the chain and attack your lubricant as well as attacting moisture. It will also be impossible to get the chain dry without it going rusty.

You can use a chain cleaning device but they're a big faff and cleaner will get spread everywhere including the jockey wheels, washing grit into the bearings. If you clean with the bike canted slightly to the right, cleaner can even creep into the BB bearings ruining them. Best to dismantle the entire transmission and clean, inspect then re-lube everything separately.

Jonathan M

swee said:
Much depends on technique used when handwashing with anything.

Wet hands up to wrist

Apply hand cleaner

Rub in thoroughly remembering backs of hands, knuckles, fingertips

Rinse thoroughly

Dry

Its the two last steps that are often neglected and result in skin irritation, or the applying of hand cleaner to dry hands before wetting them Bugs me senseless when the news has some feature on NHS hand-hygeine and you see a health care prof going to a sink, big dollop of cleaner in one hand, then turns tap on. Wrong @sshole! Can't they check the person knows how to wash hands properly!!! Even my 8 year old fails to dry hands properly and in the winter gets really red chapped skin that he finds uncomfortable.

http://www.plymouth.gov.uk/hand_washing_techniques.pdf

The NHS use the World Health Organisation guidelines, and alcohol handgel can be substiuted for water & soap unless hand are visibly soiled, but hands must be wsahed after every 3 applications of handgel anyway to prevent build up.

Sorry, bit of a rant, but I work in the NHS and hand hygeine is so straightforward but still muppets get it wrong.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You should have seen the young nurse who was "looking after" my sister when she was dying in Sheffield Hallamshire. She had a filthy string bracelet around her wrist.

Jonathan M

Rigid Raider said:
You should have seen the young nurse who was "looking after" my sister when she was dying in Sheffield Hallamshire. She had a filthy string bracelet around her wrist.

Should have reported her to infection control or the modern matron. Current policies are "bare below the elbows", so when in clinical areas the only thing accepted (at a push) is a plain wedding band. Watches, Livestrongs, tat like you describe should all be gobe, and shirts rolled over elbows. Ties are frowned upon too- so I use that as the reason not to wear one anymore!

Top Bottom