Can I change this cassette from 7 speed to 8 speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
!BT30Fr!!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-DQEjlLlu3hQBKKuT8HwVw~~_1.JPG
(does this pic work?)

I have been asked if I can change that cassette from 7 speed to and 8 speed one...changing cassettes is something I have no experience of....so is this possible?

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Definitely a cassette? Or might it be a screw-on freewheel?

If a cassette, you'll need to change the freehub body too. If a freewheel (you can get 8 speed ones, but they're rarer) then it's just a case of re-spacing the axle ( so the longer freewheel body doesn't foul against the frame) and possibly a bit of re-dishing the wheel.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Ok....so that is a 7 speed freewheel then ;) Cheers Landslide. So regarding respacing the axel....surely this is going to off centre the wheel?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Hang on, if it's a freewheel you can't easily get 8 speed ones, and they won't index too well (if at all!)
TBH, there's no real need for 8 speed rather than 7. It's the range that counts...

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
TheDoctor said:
Hang on, if it's a freewheel you can't easily get 8 speed ones, and they won't index too well (if at all!)
TBH, there's no real need for 8 speed rather than 7. It's the range that counts...

Well....I put the bike on ebay and somebody has asked me this question....and I just don't know if that it is possible.

I will say "It is possible to replace the freewheel with an 8 speed freewheel, but 8 speed freewheels are difficult to come by" or something along those lines.

Cheers for the help all

gbb

Legendary Member
montage said:
Well....I put the bike on ebay and somebody has asked me this question....and I just don't know if that it is possible.

I will say "It is possible to replace the freewheel with an 8 speed freewheel, but 8 speed freewheels are difficult to come by" or something along those lines.

Cheers for the help all

Does the potential buyer realise that the shifters will need changing too ?
8 speed freewheel...7 speed shifters...:smile:

Out of interest, my Sora clad Raleigh Chimera had an 8 speed freewheel on it..i never thought about how difficult it'd be to replace.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Have to say, I changed from a 5 speed to a 7, and would recommend it to anyone, but I've never felt that going to 8 would make any significant difference.

Top Bottom