Can i do it??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
515mm said:
Well done!

+1 for group riding. Find the biggest bloke that's going at the same pace as you and ride right behind him! Make sure you ride to the outside of his back wheel and stay alert. It's customary to shout ''RIGHT'' or ''LEFT'' or ''MIDDLE'' to indicate where the potholes are to riders who are behind you.

When the guy in front tires a bit (he/she is taking most of the wind off you after all - you'll notice his pace dropping off a touch) overtake and ride in front of him and say ''I'll take my turn on the front now.''
Cue mucho respect and a return of the favour in due course. The miles will fly by, it's playtime!
Tandems are excellent for 'drafting' :smile:. They punch a BIG hole in the air, allowing you to glide along behind them with minimal effort. Do take your turn at the front, though - and try not to overtake them on the hills :biggrin: !

PpPete

Legendary Member
Not sure about trying to stay with tandems...In my limited experience of the beasts their speed profile is very different from "half-bikes", significantly quicker downhill, slower uphill, slower to get up to speed from a standstill e.g. at junctions. It would all be too irritating to conform to that just for the sake of that long flat straight with the headwind where they can give you a significant "pull"

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Hello Donna

Of course you can do it ... myself and fellow member Annadonnelly completed last years event together as a partnership. Apart from the slight head wind from Blyth to the finish line, it wasn't difficult at all.

I'm entering again this year and I believe anne is too, so if you wish to join us on this years event, you are more than welcome, we dont have a blistering pace, just a steady ride all the way to the finish.

I have a new carrera 2 for this years event, so I'm busy breaking it in ( so to speak) and making changes to suit. I'm often cycling along the tyne cycle way and once a week I'll do a 40 miler along the coast.

If you need somone to help you do any training let me know, I'll be only too happy to help

best wishes
Norman

Top Bottom