Can I fix the new Shimano................

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Hi everyone,

As usual on here I feel like this is an idiotic question, but I have been wondering if I can put new shimano chainset's on to an old square axle, I thought I have read some where that they are now a different design?
If this is the case what are the options? I would like to fix my old steel framed bike up to be a tourer. The old chainset got bent, it had two chain rings on it.
Also the same goes for the deraileur at the back the present free wheel hub is 5 speed but it needs a new deraileur will one of the new range shimano things fit or do I need to find old parts that are still in good nick.?
The bike is from the 80's not sure which make though as it has been re-sprayed!

Thanks for any helpfull comments.

RedBike

The latest Shimano designs do use a different system. However, there's nothing stopping you replacing both the bottom bracket and the chainset. A bottom bracket (depending on which one you get) will cost about £10/£20.

You can still buy shimano compatable chainsets that fit onto a square taper axle.

02GF74

Über Member
yes ^^^ what he said.

after the square taper came a round spline; the cranks bolt fixes the crank and goes into the spindle.

after that came the hollow axle with the right hand crank attacehed to it. the LH crank has two small bolts that clamp it onto the hollow axle

you can still buy the square taper.

bear in mine for the other two you would need special tools to wind in the cup.

Top Bottom