Can I get a front rack on my commuter bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've recently gone car free and could be for up to a couple of months. I am looking at adding a front rack to my comuter bike so I can use additional panniers for big shopping trips. The only probem I see is not enough points to fasten a rack to on the front forks with the full mudguard in place. Would it be viable to buy longer screws and have a rack in place and the mudguard secured with the same screw on the outside? Below are a couple of pictures of my front wheel and fork set up.

8eX5dF

photostream

I can't get the pictures to work :laugh:

Picture 1

Picture2

I've never had a front rack but one of my rear racks coped fine with sharing the eyelet with a mudguard stay and a longer screw.

Ivan Ardon

Your fork has braze-ons for a front rack anyway. You should be able to get a rack or low riders to fit it anyway.

OP
OP
G

Ghost Donkey

Ivan Ardon said:
Your fork has braze-ons for a front rack anyway. You should be able to get a rack or low riders to fit it anyway.

My main concern with this is all the racks I have seen require to braze-ons per fork leg. There are two on each for loeg on my bike but one of those on each side is taken up by the mudguard fastening.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Ghost Donkey said:
My main concern with this is all the racks I have seen require to braze-ons per fork leg. There are two on each for loeg on my bike but one of those on each side is taken up by the mudguard fastening.

Use a longer bolt that will hold both the rack and the mudguard stay. All good LBS's will have several of different lengths

Top Bottom