Can I Have Chips With That ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well the answer seems to be No!
I had seen a message that Jaguar were halting production of some of their models, but I didn't know that there was a world wide shortage of micro chips !
I just caught a bit on the Beeb a few minutes ago saying that a fire in a factory which made them plus the huge demand for them has made a shortage .
Other car manufacturers are halting production of their cars as supplies dry up . The Beeb interviewed an expert who was saying that the problem wouldn't be resolved soon as it would take a long time before a new factory could be made .
It would seem as though we have become too reliant on them !

Big Pharma vaccine industry has been buying all the chips to implant them in sheeple. Once you understand the truth then it is clear how all the dots are connected.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The Beeb interviewed an expert who was saying that the problem wouldn't be resolved soon as it would take a long time before a new factory could be made .
It would seem as though we have become too reliant on them !
Maybe that’s the key word - reliant, we’ll all be driving them again before too long.

Drago

Legendary Member
Less new on the road, older cars in use for longer.

Sounds like win-win to cyclists and environmentalists.

And its also a symptom of the first faltering of the march to electrification. Getnon your bikes people...unless you want Di2, then youll have to walk for a bit.

12 months ago when laptops and consumer electronics were in short supply and no-one was confident enough to buy private and commercial vehicles the semiconductor manufacturers switched production to where the demand was. Can't blame them for that. Certain European auto manufacturers are extending or bringing forwards their summer shutdowns in order to avoid having to tip their hand and be the first of the 'big boys' to admit that there are supply chain issues.

Drago

Legendary Member
To be honest, Jaguar (Land Rover) have always tottered from crisis to crisis. Theyve no continuity plans for any form of serious business interruption, have lived had too mouth by every measure for far too long and have a history of backing the wrong technological horse just as its about to be sent to the glue factory. I feel sorry for the employees at the firm and the supply chains, but beyond that won't shed a tear if it went breasts skyward.

It's a chip shortage impacting all car manufactures and starting to drive both new and used car prices up. I needed to get a new-to-me car for work (heading back to the office in June) and decided to buy the car now rather than wait a month. Over here I've already seen used car prices jump by 10% in the last month and all most discounts for new cars have been dropped. It's going to be a great time to sell a used car, but not for buying a new/used one.

D

Deleted member 26715

Been a while since I commercially bought computer memory & CPU's but it was quite a common occurrence for a factory to burn down, every couple of years I would guess. This then starts the upward trend of pricing as there was a claimed shortage, then supply would ease & then prices would slowly fall back again as the competition mounted. It was always strange that even the manufacturers who were not involved in the fire that heir prices would also rise at the same time.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Been a while since I commercially bought computer memory & CPU's but it was quite a common occurrence for a factory to burn down, every couple of years I would guess. This then starts the upward trend of pricing as there was a claimed shortage, then supply would ease & then prices would slowly fall back again as the competition mounted. It was always strange that even the manufacturers who were not involved in the fire that heir prices would also rise at the same time.

I think boom bust in cpu's and memory etc was that a the forges were making only one kind of wafer at a time so while it was banging out cpu's memory prices went sky high and then visa verso.

Jody

Stubborn git
It's not just cars that are effected. Gaming consoles, CPU/GPUs, phones etc were all bought in record numbers last year. Coupled with the release of new tech before Christmas, increased profitability from mining and everyone having cash to spare created a perfect storm. The GPU I bought new in November could be sold second hand for almost twice what I paid for it.

It looks like its going to be at least 6+ months before the shortages start to resolve.

Top Bottom