Can I have your advice on this hybrid please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
You won't need 22 gears for towpath riding, 20 is ample with appropriate gear ratios which the compact double (11-32 cassette) will give you :okay:

SLOW STEVE

be sure you want a hybrid. I bought one, was sorry I had after a few rides and bought a road bike. I'd go for a cyclocross instead, though they can be a bit pricey

OP
OP
Midsrider

Midsrider

The Btwins are 11 speed, the Boardman is 10 speed. I’ve actually got a Boardman Hybrid ( the MX Comp) it’s a proper tank, but the Btwins are a bit of a more modern design.
Hi ya,

when you say Tank, do you mean heavy to handle and hard to ride??? Or built like a tank and built to last!!.

head office said they can probably sort me one out still....but they did push me towards the latest models more saying the build quality is far superior.

OP
OP
Midsrider

Midsrider

Have you checked out the latest models in store?
Yeah, been looking for a bike for last few weeks as sold mine. I’m after a hybrid and to be fair the B’Twin riverside 900 or 920 caught my eye. I was not keen on the 900 colour and then was told a whole new colour range was coming out.
Then was looking at getting the 920 which has great spec and award winning....and then have been told to hold fire as a whole new riverside range is due to land.

the new colour of the riverside 900 is on the website but my concern is most of the spec is B’Twin’s own, not knocking it.....but would rather have a slightly better spec of gear set and brakes etc....now this leads into 920 spec, but then it’s leading into Trek & Boardman prices.
my budget is around £500 can stretch to £600 if need be.

here are some current ones I’m considering

Trek dual sport 2 equipped
Riverside920
Riverside900
Boardman MTX8.6

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you looked at the Whyte R7 range (although maybe out of budget) or slightly less popular (heavily marketed ;) ) brands like ridgeback, Merida or Marin?

Hi ya,

when you say Tank, do you mean heavy to handle and hard to ride??? Or built like a tank and built to last!!.

head office said they can probably sort me one out still....but they did push me towards the latest models more saying the build quality is far superior.
I meant it was built like a tank, pretty much indestructible, it is quite heavy, but I’ve managed 100+ hilly miles on it a few times. The newer models are worth having because of the more modern designs and slightly better specs ( particularly on the Decathlon bikes ) but the price of that Boardman would make it a total bargain, and the spec isn’t that bad. I’d still go with the Decathlon bikes though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Midsrider

Midsrider

I meant it was built like a tank, pretty much indestructible, it is quite heavy, but I’ve managed 100+ hilly miles on it a few times. The newer models are worth having because of the more modern designs and slightly better specs ( particularly on the Decathlon bikes ) but the price of that Boardman would make it a total bargain, and the spec isn’t that bad. I’d still go with the Decathlon bikes though.
Which one? The 920 or 900?

AuroraSaab

Veteran
It wasn't on Hot deals, but a few months ago there were a couple of other very cheap Boardmans on Hot deals - I don't remember anybody actually getting one though as when you clicked through they were out of stock for delivery and click and collect. I think it is more likely that this is a single or very small number of bikes, maybe returns or shop floor models, that have found their way back into the stock list. I hope you get your bike but I don't think this was a bargain you missed out on and others got.

Top Bottom