"Can I listen to headphones whilst riding / training"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
wouldn't it depend considerably on the earphones? Some keep out outside noise, and some don't.
I guess ditto the car - with say, a near silent Rolls keeping out most outside noise, or far that matter an old Landy drowning out most outside noise.

Still 20dB difference - with cars letting in more outside noise (if I've understood figures right)
The research showed that the reduction was greater for cars.

The difference between a cyclist's ability to hear ambient noise with headphones an a moderate volume was less than the difference betwen open and closed car windows.

Why should one group be criticised and the other allowed to perform the same ambient noise reduction as a standard practice?

wouldn't it depend considerably on the earphones? Some keep out outside noise, and some don't.
I guess ditto the car - with say, a near silent Rolls keeping out most outside noise, or far that matter an old Landy drowning out most outside noise.

Still 20dB difference - with cars letting in more outside noise (if I've understood figures right)
The research showed that the reduction was greater for cars.

The difference between a cyclist's ability to hear ambient noise with headphones an a moderate volume was less than the difference betwen open and closed car windows.

Why should one group be criticised and the other allowed to perform the same ambient noise reduction as a standard practice?

Lemond

For me it would spoil the ride. There are certain sounds that make me feel really happy, a road bike purring along being one of them.

So is the suggetsion that mirors replace hearing?

Solves the issue?
In a car, yes. On a bike, don't know but reject the idea that because it's not important in a car then it's not important on a bike as they are dufferent with dufferent aids at your disposal.

In a car, yes. On a bike, don't know but reject the idea that because it's not important in a car then it's not important on a bike as they are dufferent with dufferent aids at your disposal.

How?

I fail to see what aid is available to me in a car that is not available on my bike....

You really need to explain which aid is not available on my bike....

How?

I fail to see what aid is available to me in a car that is not available on my bike....

You really need to explain which aid is not available on my bike....
My point, being badly explained by me, was about those that say that cars close windows so who cares if cyclists wear headphones. My point is that all cars by law (I believe) require mirrors. This ais
ds with drawing your attention to rear dangers in your peripheral vision. That's why they're different. I was told cyclists have a neck - obviously refering to be able to look behind you. My point is that it's not in your peripheral vision and you may well miss what's behind when you are not looking. All that is moot for cyclists with mirrors, but those without, I believe hearing is more important on bikes than in cars.

Everything in life is a balance between pleasures and risks.

I listened to podcasts from around the world when I am cycling: from NPR, BBC, Slate, ABC etc etc. Ideas from around the world seep into my brain, and blend themselves into the landscape around around me. I still remember shortly after setting out on one of my first audaxes, listening to a Radio 4 special about Will Self and psychogeography as I rode through Oxfordshire. The talk about the different types, meanings and uses of maps gained an extra layer as I looked at the two maps I was using that day: the audax route (a list of instructions, landmarks and turns); and the GPX route I was following on my phone. Understanding how those two things were maps, and how there form was driven by the use to which they are put added a new layer to my understanding of maps and of what I was doing.

StuartG

slower but further
Listening to music on your bike? Great up to 1967 - worth carrying the heavy duty rack, speakers and battery packs. After 1967. What's the point?

Learnincurve

...asks my safety conscious wife the other day on her maiden 18 miler as it was "boring"

"Sure", if you wan't to end up dead, says I.

Just my thoughts but, listening to music and riding are not ideal ?

tell her to do what I do and ride with a portable radio in a frame bag :biggrin:

I can hear everything around me and popmaster. Unfortunately on friday Chris Evans decided to play ghostbusters as I was passing a group of dog walkers but that's life.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
If you can hear the vehicle behind you what difference does it make to the way you ride? Also do you not shoulder check and do a "lifesaver" prior to making a manoeuvre if you are or aren't listening to something.
I don't listen to anything when riding although I have in the past and if you ride consistently I would see the increase in risk to be minimal. It is those god damn Smidsy's you need to worry about. :whistle:

The same eyes, ears and nose need the same input to make the same decision ... simples.

Decreasing the input decreases the ability to respond - simples

Why should this be acceptable for person A and very, very naughty for person B

tell her to do what I do and ride with a portable radio in a frame bag :biggrin:

I can hear everything around me and popmaster. Unfortunately on friday Chris Evans decided to play ghostbusters as I was passing a group of dog walkers but that's life.
Please don't do that. I hate being exposed to other people's crappy taste in music. I hate it when drivers do it, and I'd hate it to become a thing amongst cyclists.

(had to google to find out which station Chris Evans is on: really, radio 2? surely silence is better?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom