Can I load a Word CD onto a USB stick?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'm thinking of buying a basic laptop with no optical drive, and would need to load MS Office onto it. I have it on CD - could I simply copy the CD onto a 1Gb memory stick, then use that to load the MS s'ware onto the laptop?

Mark_Robson

The only issue would be that the autostart wont function but you should be able to navigate to the setup.exe file.
A more techier ( is that a word? ) way of doing it would be to create an ISO of the original disk, copy that onto the laptop's HDD from the pen and then mount it using Daemon Tools.

rh100

Yes, just copy all contents of the CD to its own folder on the memory stick. Then on the PC just navigate to the folder and run the setup.exe as Mark says. I store my Office setup files on a shared network drive and install them from there, it's the same thing really.

twowheelsgood

If you don't need to boot it (there are special ways of making the Windows XP installable from USB), then by far the easiest and most reliable way is making a CD/DVD image using CD burner software.

Basically you "copy" the disk to a file *.img or *.iso normally. These can then be mounted using daemon tools (dtools - which is free).

Your CD then appears exactly as if it was in a real CD drive.

Mark_Robson

twowheelsgood said:
If you don't need to boot it (there are special ways of making the Windows XP installable from USB), then by far the easiest and most reliable way is making a CD/DVD image using CD burner software.

Basically you "copy" the disk to a file *.img or *.iso normally. These can then be mounted using daemon tools (dtools - which is free).

Isn't that what I said three posts up?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I know it is not the question you asked but if I had a basic laptop/netbook that does not have an internal CD/DVD drive I would consider buying one of these handy usb dvd drives.

Not only does it enable you to read/listen to/watch all cds/dvds with your new machine it will also allow you to write them. Not bad for £32.

rh100

twowheelsgood said:

I think he's after Word, not Windows :wacko: It's not much aggro to find the autorun file and what it points to surely.

Top Bottom