Can I own this bike? (opinions on fit)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeJD

Hi all,

i’ve just test rode a Trek Emonda ALR 5 at a local bike shop, it’s the last one they have, size 60cm.

My height is 6’ 3.5” and the bike generally felt nice, climbing was comfortable and compared to my Giant Contend SL1 XL, it was nice to be on something lighter.

I’m not completely sure if the bike fits me, as Trek’s size guidelines say I should be on a 62cm. Nothing stood out as feeing wrong, only that I’d like to take the saddle back slightly and turn the hood angle down some.

I’ve got a video taken in the store and took some images of the current saddle position (before adjusting), and also of my foot hitting the front wheel, which I believe would happen on a lot of bikes as I like my cleats all the way back.

Let me know what you think, would be great if the bike worked for me, but if it’s not going to be right, not worth spending all the money.

Also, there are a few scratches on the frame, I presume as it’s the last one in the company, the bike is already discounted by 15% over retail. They have offered me an extra £50 off on top, does this seem an adequate amount?

Thanks for the help.

T5SJFJd.jpg

Uq4jQtO.jpg

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Layback seatpost? Longer stem. Toe overlap common on compact frames and only an issue at low speeds

TREK say its too small for you but I wouldn't worry there; one fit I had said that the bike I did 41,000 miles on comfortably was too big another said it was too small too. From my understanding of bike frame sizing, a smaller bike feels more nimble ( a lot of folk go small for that reason) and a larger frame feels more comfortable. Its easier to adjust a smaller frame too but there might not be scope to reduce a larger frame to fit. I've never found toe overlap an issue on a road bike; most steering is done with moving your weight and only light steering, especially at speed :okay:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Looks fine, you are tall so all bikes look small id think, as said fitting is a guide.
I prefer smaller frames than what is usually recommended.

Is the seatpost near its limit?

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

Looks fine, you are tall so all bikes look small id think, as said fitting is a guide.
I prefer smaller frames than what is usually recommended.

Is the seatpost near its limit?

There's some extra seatpost for sure, as I asked them to take a down a touch as it felt too high (when leg was straightened, heel didn't touch pedal)

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

Layback seatpost? Longer stem. Toe overlap common on compact frames and only an issue at low speeds

Thanks vickster, how would I know if the stem needed to be longer, would things start to feel uncomfortable?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Possibly if you feel cramped? Elbows very bent?
Have you had a road bike before?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MikeJD

Possibly if you feel cramped?
Have you had a road bike before?

Yeah I’ve just had one for the past year, an XL Giant Propel SL1.

I actually felt ok, but I imagine that would be something that would become evident after longer or more frequent rides.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah I’ve just had one for the past year, an XL Giant Propel SL1.

I actually felt ok, but I imagine that would be something that would become evident after longer or more frequent rides.
You should try the other size too, don’t get seduced into buying the wrong bike by what seems a deal

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

You should try the other size too, don’t get seduced into buying the wrong bike by what seems a deal

That would be ideal, but unfortunately they don’t have a 62cm size left of this bike at any of their stores.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'd say it'd be perfectly fine for you. You can always play with stem length etc.
I'm a couple of inches shorter and find 60cm is my size usually but I can manage a 58cm with a few tweaks.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
If you felt OK on the bike on the test ride then basically it fits. You'd soon know about it if it didn't.
Minor tweeks in stem length/height and saddle height/set back can be changed as you get more acquainted with the bike.
It's alot easier to make a small bike bigger than a big bike smaller.

Soltydog

Legendary Member

I'm 6'5" & trying bikes out isn't always possible, as many LBSs don't stock any/many of the largest size frames :sad: If you have an Evans or other larger store close by you may have a chance, but my nearest Evans is about 60 miles away :blush:

@MikeJD if you have had a test ride & it felt ok, then it will probably be fine. If you find on longer rides there is a minor issue, it can probably be sorted by changing stem and/or seatpost as others have said. I generally ride a 60cm frame, but think the Trek frames come up small, their size guide has me on a 62 or 64. The ALR 5 does look a nice bike though, I was going to look at one last month, but went to a Giant stockist first & got a good deal on a TCR, so never made it to the Trek dealer :laugh:

Top Bottom