Can I remove any pin from a chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Toby_2009

Hi,

I was just wandering if i can remove any of the links from my chain or wether I have to remove only a certain one?

Cheers,

Toby

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Yes, but if you put them back in again its likely to cause a stiff link.
But, if you wanted to just split a chain then pick any link you like the look of.

OP
OP
T

Toby_2009

Joe24 said:
But, if you wanted to just split a chain then pick any link you like the look of.

thanks, so what do i do if I dont want to create a 'stiff link'?

Cubist

Still wavin'
You split the chain and then remove a second pin from the link that still has the plates attached, leaving yourself two rollers. You then put the back plate which has two pins attached through the two rollers, thereby linking the chain and then put the plate onto the protruding pins. The plate is "keyholed" so that when you pull the chain either side of the powerlink the tips of the pins click into place.

C

chillyuk

Joe24 said:

So how did we manage for generations of cyclists before these quick links were developed? I have joined many chains and never had a stiff link where I have made the join.

02GF74

Über Member
chillyuk said:
So how did we manage for generations of cyclists before these quick links were developed? I have joined many chains and never had a stiff link where I have made the join.

older chains had pin pushed in, you could push the pin and then push it in and all was well.

then as the chains became narrower,8 spd, shimano and other manufacturers swage the pin ends so they wont come out, this means that when the pin is pushed out, it isn't easy to push it back in and you end up damaging the link. for that pupose shimano sell a special pin to join chains, for the extortionate sum of £ 1 (yes, a quid for a single effing pin) :smile:. this pin has a pointy end so can go into the link easy peasy like.

I have managed to reuse the original pin by taking a round needle file and enlarging the hole on the inside of the link so the pin fits easier into the hole. this chamfer on the inside acts like the pointy pin, obviously when doing this, remove the minimal aount of metal plus ensure the hole le diameter is not changed otherwsie the strength of the chain is compromised.

I also fine that using the shimano chain breaker tool gives a better chance of getting the pin in than the cheapo ones.

Picture below - the red shows the chamfer filed to the hole. BTW You don't push the pin fully out but enough to split the chain.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
My new SRAM chain came with Powerlink, which I chose to retain for when I'm on the road. I pushed out a regular link and pushed it back in when the two ends were joined.

It was a little stiff but I just used the chain tool to fine tune it in it's place. No stiff link anymore.

C

chillyuk

02GF74 said:
older chains had pin pushed in, you could push the pin and then push it in and all was well.

then as the chains became narrower,8 spd, shimano and other manufacturers swage the pin ends so they wont come out, this means that when the pin is pushed out, it isn't easy to push it back in and you end up damaging the link. for that pupose shimano sell a special pin to join chains, for the extortionate sum of £ 1 (yes, a quid for a single effing pin) :angry:. this pin has a pointy end so can go into the link easy peasy like.

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't realise about the redesigned chain pins!

Now I know.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I could never be arsed with powerlinks. Even when chains come with them I ignore them. I use a chain splitter, and I too have never had any problem with stiff links - or any other problems come to that. I would tho' add the caveat that I've never had any dealings with any but really basic chains - ten quid kmc 7/8 speed jobbies.

Davidc

Guru
I do the same as moodyman, and haven't had a problem. It just takes a bit of time and fiddling. I've managed to get Shimano HG and SRAM chains to run smoothly.

The most difficult I've had was when I reduced the number of links on a used chain when I lowered the gearing on my tourer. I'd have been better off using one of my powerlinks for that.

I thought that the two metal bits in the middle of the Park tool were slightly different widths so that you pop the tight link on the wider one and gently tap down so prising the tight link apart and freeing it. - that's how I do it anyway.

Top Bottom