Can I use 7-speed shifters with a 9-speed cassette?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I have a pair of Sora 7-speed shifters, and a wheel with a 9-speed block on it. Can I use them, obviously with the caveat that I have to accept I can't use, say, the two smallest sprockets? (Which TBH would be no great loss...I never go that fast.)

robgul

Legendary Member
No - doesn't work quite like that - the "steps" (i.e. the cable pulls for the changes) are different for 7 or 9 speed.

For older style shifters you can often get a away with setting them in friction mode (i.e. not indexed) and using a 7, 8 or 9 speed ... it just takes a bit of practice to get the feel of the cable pull required on the lever (my Galaxy with bar-end shifters are actually 9 speed but work perfectly in friction with a 7 speed cassette)

Rob

Milo

Guru
I weirdly have just managed to get an 7 speed down tube indexed shifter to work with an 8 speed cassette. Not sure how though. Had just been using it on friction mode before.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I weirdly have just managed to get an 7 speed down tube indexed shifter to work with an 8 speed cassette. Not sure how though. Had just been using it on friction mode before.
The difference between 7 and 8 speed is close enough that you can do it, i have done the same but 7 to 9 is to much and i doubt you could get the cassette to index properly .

Top Bottom