Can I Use Shimano R501 Wheelset on 80s Peugeot Clubman?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
My father-in-law has given me his knackered old Clubman to refurb. The rims and tyres are knackered and need replacing. I have a Shimano R501 wheelset which I can't use on my hybrid (see previous thread), and I wondered whether I could kill two birds with one stone.

The Peugeot currently has a thread-on-freewheel, and of course the new wheels have a cassette freehub. Is it possible to use them? And if so, how difficult is it?

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Dropout spacing will likely be wrong, but steel frames can be re-spaced quite easily.

See this cribsheet for standard spacings.

Also, some people would regard a freehub in a vintage/retro frame as an abomination. :whistle:

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
The drop outs are actually 130mm, which is the right size. I'm just trying to save the hassle of repackaging the wheels and sending them back to Germany. Much easier if I can say to my father-in-law "I've got you some new wheels, give me the money." Ha!

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Depends on the existing equipment, such as gear levers indexed/non-indexed, throw available on rear mech. It might look a bit odd having an 8 speed cassette with a mech that can only access the bottom 6 sprockets. I'm not saying that's what will happen, but it's a possibility if the existing bits are incompatible with a modern freehub/cassette setup.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The cassette/freewheel thing doesn't matter at all - if the spacing's ok, you're good to go. You may need to tweak the retaining screws on the rear mech to reflect the 8 speeds - more than the Peugeot would have had originally - but other than that you shouldn't have any problems.

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
The cassette/freewheel thing doesn't matter at all - if the spacing's ok, you're good to go. You may need to tweak the retaining screws on the rear mech to reflect the 8 speeds - more than the Peugeot would have had originally - but other than that you shouldn't have any problems.

Thanks man. Will give it a whirl.

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
Well I'm pleased to report that it worked!

009.JPG
009.JPG

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 46
Top Bottom