Can I use this frame to build a road fixie?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iAmiAdam

Yes, if you want to.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
As long as you are aware that this frame appears to have mtb rear hub spacing and chainline, disc brake and 26" wheel and tyre.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
if by road tyres you mean mtb slicks then yes, if you mean 700c wheels with 23" (or 20, 25 or 28) tyres, the answer is no as the frame geometry is wrong.

tyred

Legendary Member
My advice would be to look for an old ten/twelve speed "racer" frame, preferably Reynolds 531 but I wouldn't dismiss a lower end one if it's in nice condition and cheap.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Thanks MacB. I have just bought a old racing bike. Hope it gets sold soon.

No probs, I'm actually thinking of whacking on the bits myself and flogging on e-bay, people seem to snap up steel fixies on there...good luck with the build

Gower

As a 'Golden Oldy', I find the current fixation (pun intended) with fixed wheels a bit bewildering. When I was a lad (groan) and getting in from school and needing a bike to go out and play, I usually lashed something together from old bits and always had a fixed wheel because we could do more stunts (riding backwards, sitting on the handlebars etc.) and didn't use brakes. The other reason of course was that a fixed wheel bike was the simplest to build and had less to go wrong. In later years, a lot of my pals would put away the 'good' bike for the winter and use an old hack, invariably fitted with a fixed wheel, in order to save wear and tear on the 'new' Simplex gear. Not much new under the sun, really.
Cheers,
Gower

Top Bottom