can my garmin 605...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

...download where i've been to my computer?
basically I programmed a route into it, and followed it, with it navigating me. I just turned it on, chose "where to", "saved rides", chose the route that I'd uploaded to it, and chose navigate.

it had a bit of a spaz in the city centre but i think that was 'cos i took a wrong turning at a massive roundabout and went right through the busy bit and it had to recalculate every 10 seconds or so. But overall it did ok, i'm pretty pleased with it. and it's nice and small and fits on the stem great. I think the acid test is that i'm pretty confident that it will perform ok on an audax.

BUT - what i want to know, is given what I did as said above, can i now download the route I actually covered, and what time I took, speed, etc. to my home pc? i didn't explicitly tell it to "record" or anything, but will it have done so anyway...
If it won't have recorded, can it do that if I explicitly tell it to, and if so how do i tell itto, and can it do that at the same time as navigating?.

Thanks!

Will1985

Über Member
You should be able to - if the 205, 305 and 705 can, I see no reason why not.

gavintc

Guru
Ben_3 said:
thanks..
:bicycle:
great help

But, that is exactly how I do it. As long as you are recording the ride - press start at the beginning and stop at the end, it will be on the machine. If you have not recorded the ride - you cannot download it.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

bleakanddivine said:
On the 305 you have to specifically press a 'start timer' button for it to record your actual route. Probably same on the 605?

Jonathan

oh you have to press start do you. that' what i didn't know, cheers.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

ok i've done a ride where i pressed start.
so given that i'm at work and haven't got my installation disk (but have got garmin communicator plugin installed)
what website can i use to view it?
mapmyride.com can find my device but just says '0 routes, 0 tracks, 1 waypoints' and wont' go any further...

OP
OP
B

bonj2

bleakanddivine said:
You've got to press 'stop timer' at the end as well, otherwise it could still be recording. You can upload from the GPS to somewhere like www.motionbased.com, but you'll need to set up an account. Normally you would do it into Garmin Training Center on your home computer.
yeah i did press stop.
i'll try that motionbased.com, thanks for that suggestion.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

yep cheers, that motionbased does exactly what i wanted it to do.
the only thing it doesn't do which nokia sportstracker can do is let me hover over a point in the route and tell me how fast i was going at that point, but that's not really that important.

i'll have a look at that frank kinlan site aswell.

just another quickie that you might be able to answer: is it possible when riding to have the garmin in a mode such as it will display the backlight momentarily when i press a button, but then go off again after a certain time( or just when i press the button again)?

dodgy

Ben_3 said:
just another quickie that you might be able to answer: is it possible when riding to have the garmin in a mode such as it will display the backlight momentarily when i press a button, but then go off again after a certain time( or just when i press the button again)?

That is the default behaviour. Simple tap the power button which brings up the screen light, push the toggle to get the brightness you want. The light will go out after a few seconds, but next time you touch any key the backlight will come on again.

Incidentally, the data logging capability of these devices is one of the most fundamental functions, you'll be amazed at what they can do once you start using it. I'm staggered that you haven't already been using it!

OP
OP
B

bonj2

great cheers, that works.

what software do I need on my pc can i use to import the data (.tcx file?) generated by recording a ride? I don't seem to have anything that can do that at the moment.
I can do it using motionbased.com but that's web-based, what if let's say i'm disconnected from the internet>?

Top Bottom