Can Safety Helmets really help save your life

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
marko1975 said:
I wonder if they can acutally help to save your life, what are the good points and bad:laugh:

This is the 3rd thread you have started with much the same question, what's going on ?

4F said:
This is the 3rd thread you have started with much the same question, what's going on ?

He's obviously not sure still?

Another classic quote from a Health Care "Professional"

Susie Hewitt, a consultant at Royal Derby Hospital’s casualty department involved in the teenager’s treatment, said wearing helmets could save cyclists’ lives.

She said: “He (the boy) had always been told by his parents about the importance of wearing a helmet.”

The case she was talking about was a kid WALKING his bike to School when involved with a bus.

Tynan

Veteran
is it possible to use primary AND secondary safety measures at the same time? and might they add up to more safety than either used alone?

Bandini

kevin_cambs_uk said:
Well I alway wear mine
better to have it and never need it

http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1100.html

Proportion of all injuries that involve head injury:
All causes: 34.2%
Cyclists: 37.6%
Pedestrians: 43.7%

That is for child cyclists, who I believe are more likely to go over the bars. With that in mind, I now wear this in town:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1294/1352970959_c38cf4effa_o.jpg

You can make one out of old inner tubes. There will be loads spare if helmet laws are brought in.

Dingerjsc

Really just depends? If you fell off on the road and were subsequently creamed by four lorries the helmet probably wouldn't help!

On the other hand if you were cycling along a country road and a particularly large conker fell from a tree... you probably wouldn't even notice the impact .. hooray the helmet!

Mark_Robson

Cunobelin said:
Another classic quote from a Health Care "Professional"
The case she was talking about was a kid WALKING his bike to School when involved with a bus.
Aren't you the guy who always preaches that pedestrians should wear a helmet? :becool:

Mark_Robson said:
Aren't you the guy who always preaches that pedestrians should wear a helmet? :evil:

NOpe - I'm the one who points out that more head injuries would be prevented by compulsory pedestrian helmets than compulsory cycle helmets.

I'm also the one who thinks Health Care Professionals should be honest, truthful and act on evidence, unlike MS Hewitt who has no idea what sh is talking about in this case!

Dingerjsc said:
Really just depends? If you fell off on the road and were subsequently creamed by four lorries the helmet probably wouldn't help!

On the other hand if you were cycling along a country road and a particularly large conker fell from a tree... you probably wouldn't even notice the impact .. hooray the helmet!

You could also wear a basket catch them and flog them to kids.... make money and achieve the same protection?
CochonnetCatch.JPG

Dingerjsc

Awesome idea Cunobelin! How about halfers and we'll flog the idea to Sir Alan Sugar! I reckon there would be a market and from the look of the picture even the fashion conscious would like it!

Top Bottom