Can someone measure/work out this (Cheshire) route for me please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I do think your working yourselves(f) up @Dave7 @User3094 @400bhp over turning left out of Penny's Lane, doing 200m on the A556 and going right at the roundabout. That's got to be easier and as safe as dismounting and walking/running pushing bike across all 4 lanes plus central reservation. The vehicles will be having to slow down to negotiate the roundabout.

Siclo

Veteran
As @TeeShot says the smokers is a popular crossing if you don't mind a bit of pavement cycling. @Ajax Bay I've seen cars take the roundabout at 70mph by using the turn left lane to go straight on they make a racing line- its not unusual for cars to be doing 100mph on this road

The Tabley Hill crossing is out of action, you used to be able to use the cars to help you across but this http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/road-projects/a556-knutsford-to-bowdon-improvement/ has closed it which I forgot when I plotted the route (which causes me a headache as I have errands up there this weekend). IIRC there is supposed to be some cycle infra coming out of this at Tabley Hill but we'll see.

@Dave7 , if it were me I'd change the route slightly and drop Lymm to make figure of 8 type route with Bucklow Hill at the centre - Warby Bridge - Dunham Massey, cross the Bollin using Bricklin Lane- Reddy Lane / Boothbank to Bucklow Hill, Cicely Mill lane / Marsh Lane to Ashley, Alderley Edge, Gawsworth, Swettenham , Goosetry, Tatton Park, back over Bucklow Hill, High Leigh using Hulseheath lane (Hoo Green Lane is closed north of the A50), Great Budworth and use lanes out to Preston on the Hill (its not a hill) and Hatton to make up any distance. I'll try and plot it, don't know why you can't see my links though.

Another option is off Penny Lane use Crowders Road / Davenham Road until it runs into the A556 west of Davenham, use the cycle track to the bridge, at the bridge take the path up the side of the river Weaver (do able in the summer on a road bike) into Northwich, cross the Dane on the main bridge and use Weaver Way to give you a choice the river path to Anderton boat lift or Marbury Lane to Marbury country Park.

Top Bottom