Can someone solve my WTF moment...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Travs

I was trying to explain to the other half about something that I know as (and I got the term from cycling commentators) Puppy Paws. You know the one - mimicking a TT position but on road bars. Forearms resting on the middle of the bars by the stem, relaxed wrists, hands over each other.

Does the entire cycling community know it as something else? Google gives me nothing, and I can't put some sort of description without getting a million pictures of dogs on bikes.

Does that makes sense or am I slightly more delusional that I think I am?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I was trying to explain to the other half about something that I know as (and I got the term from cycling commentators) Puppy Paws. You know the one - mimicking a TT position but on road bars. Forearms resting on the middle of the bars by the stem, relaxed wrists, hands over each other.

Does the entire cycling community know it as something else? Google gives me nothing, and I can't put some sort of description without getting a million pictures of dogs on bikes.

Does that makes sense or am I slightly more delusional that I think I am?
You're a cyclist, therefore delusional by default.

BorderReiver

Veteran
Puppy Paws is correct. I've heard it several times this year (but I don't think I've ever heard it prior to 2016). Maybe it will take Google a while to catch up.

(On the subject of search engines, I was looking to get my Persian cat groomed last year and I'd just moved house so didn't know of any groomers nearby. Imagine my surprise when I put "shaved pussies" into Google.)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Puppy Paws is correct. I've heard it several times this year (but I don't think I've ever heard it prior to 2016). Maybe it will take Google a while to catch up.

(On the subject of search engines, I was looking to get my Persian cat groomed last year and I'd just moved house so didn't know of any groomers nearby. Imagine my surprise when I put "shaved pussies" into Google.)
The holders that suspend bananas from the top tube are NOT leather banana hammocks, either! :eek:

Will Spin

Über Member
I tried riding like that once, I now have quite a lot of stainless steel in my right shoulder.

OP
OP
Travs

Travs

Cheers all; I'll write to Gary Imlach and suggest Dragons Claws. And note that I must also be somewhat delusional.

Will - it's not something I do often at all; smooth surface, quiet road with little need to grab the brakes - so essentially when in Richmond Park. Always a need to duck out of a gale-force cross/headwind. Sorry to read about your shoulder!

Last edited:
Puppy paws seems to make sense:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxycsxdjS8g3czIWReQeRZCK2pgOjBWIo69Xj2_ejGELAloRFFBQ.jpg
upload_2016-11-28_3-59-2.jpeg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRYzKyciSBKKKlpbWlvc6Fr8jWgOKz_Y1GyXGXl0xtODJmrQQB.jpg

Attachments

• images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxycsxdjS8g3czIWReQeRZCK2pgOjBWIo69Xj2_ejGELAloRFFBQ.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxycsxdjS8g3czIWReQeRZCK2pgOjBWIo69Xj2_ejGELAloRFFBQ.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 44
  • images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRYzKyciSBKKKlpbWlvc6Fr8jWgOKz_Y1GyXGXl0xtODJmrQQB.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRYzKyciSBKKKlpbWlvc6Fr8jWgOKz_Y1GyXGXl0xtODJmrQQB.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 44

BorderReiver

Veteran
I like the expression. I've only tried it once, on a dead smooth, empty, flat, cycle track (not in the UK, obviously) and found it really uncomfortable but then I have all the flexibility of a plank of wood. I couldn't really see much advantage to just riding on the drops.

OP
OP
Travs

Travs

I like the expression. I've only tried it once, on a dead smooth, empty, flat, cycle track (not in the UK, obviously) and found it really uncomfortable but then I have all the flexibility of a plank of wood. I couldn't really see much advantage to just riding on the drops.

I guess its as aero as hands on hoods/forearms parallel but without having to hold as much weight on your triceps. God knows whether that position has a name but that's definitely recognised:
forearms-on-bars.jpg

Ironically, when searching for that - I found this:
291951d1391920513-saddle-question-pursuit-position-fabian-cancellara-aero-position.jpg

and then this:
zabriskie2.jpg

I've now read its sometimes referred to as "Pursuit Position"- which is still dicked-on by Dragons Claws. if on'y I'd seen this yesterday I wouldn't have looked a bumbling idiot

Attachments

• forearms-on-bars.jpg
    forearms-on-bars.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 291951d1391920513-saddle-question-pursuit-position-fabian-cancellara-aero-position.jpg
    291951d1391920513-saddle-question-pursuit-position-fabian-cancellara-aero-position.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 393
  • zabriskie2.jpg
    zabriskie2.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 243
Top Bottom