Can they take your house?

brass monkey

New Member
[FONT=&quot]Imagine that you were out riding and unfortunate enough to cause an accident that was indisputably your fault the result of which was death, serious injury and mega damage to property. Assuming you were not insured could you be sued for such a large amount that you would have to sell your house to cover the costs?[/FONT]
 

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Location
Auld Reekie
They could force you into bankruptcy, but the trick would be to pass your house (and all of your other property) into the name of another member of your family, then they could only get what is left. It would be easier just to join CTC, as part of the membership package you get free £5m third party insurance.
 

Keith Oates

Janner
Location
Penarth, Wales
Ouch brass monkey, hope it never happens to you of anyone else. Not sure if handing the house over to another family member after the accident would get you off the hook though. Patrick or spen will no doubt put us straight on this one!!
 
It wouldn’t happen, the chances of a cyclist being the sole cause of such an incident are extremely unlikely, "mega damage to property”?

Perhaps the worst could be if you were riding recklessly and without care for others, perhaps on a pavement and struck a person or child causing death. The incident would almost certainly still be seen as an accident or if you truly were being so negligent and acting in a manner that anyone could see was dangerous and directly caused such injuries wouldn’t you deserve to loose your house anyway!
 

Cycling Naturalist

Legendary Member
Location
Llangollen
Hairy Jock said:
They could force you into bankruptcy, but the trick would be to pass your house (and all of your other property) into the name of another member of your family, then they could only get what is left. It would be easier just to join CTC, as part of the membership package you get free £5m third party insurance.
The transaction could be set aside under the Insolvency Act 1986. Off the top of my head, I think it's section 385 or 386.
 

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Location
Mlehworld
British Cycling liability is 10 million. I've always wondered what could happen to cause a chain of events that might trigger that kind of claim
 

slow down

New Member
Location
Walsall
Steve Austin said:
British Cycling liability is 10 million. I've always wondered what could happen to cause a chain of events that might trigger that kind of claim

Cause a car to swerve onto the pavement, killing/seriously injuring people? £10m sounds a lot from a liability point of view, but it's not that much if the worst did happen.
 

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Location
Auld Reekie
slow down said:
Cause a car to swerve onto the pavement, killing/seriously injuring people? £10m sounds a lot from a liability point of view, but it's not that much if the worst did happen.
That suggest that the driver was not responsible for his/her own actions...
 
Another opinion. This chap seems to advocate insurance.

http://www.camcycle.org.uk/campaigning/talks/agm2006/

albiet that he has stopped providing the cover.
 
Top Bottom